Frankenstein, How's Mars Treatin' Ya?

I am a huge fan of Grant Morruson’s Seven Soldiers and most certainly that enthusiasm is also extended to the pencils provided by Doug Mahnke for the Frankenstein issues. The red planet provides challenges indeed.

2 Likes

That mini-series, and the greater Seven Soldiers series, absolutely blew me away.

Later on, when Mahnke was working with Geoff Johns on their Green Lantern run, I went to a comic convention where the longest lines were for these guys because the GL comic was a blockbuster. I stood in that long line not to get any GL’s signed, but to get Mahnke to put his initials on the bottom of the base of my Frankenstein Heroclix piece.

I should show my actual piece, but I am too lazy this morning to dig it out.

3 Likes

That’s a fantastic piece! And Mahnke as an artist and person does just fine. I loved that corral of artists brought together for that maxi-series. A real event, as far as I was concerned.

1 Like

I just finished a reread of Seven Soldiers, my first since it was originally published, and Frankenstein really stands out as one of the best entries. The art is spectacular and the writing is just so so good. I’m still amazed DC made Frankenstein part of both Flashpoint and the New 52, but I’m glad they did because those series introduced me to Jeff Lemire who has become one of my favourite writers.

1 Like

Always worth a revisit. I too followed Lemire’s Frankenstein Agent of Shade run, which did not disappoint. I feel like Lemire was the write pick for the Animal Man title as well. He and Morrison both have a penchant for things mind-bending.

Seven Soldiers read so much better two issues a day instead of one issue per month (with a huge gap between the final miniseries issue and Seven Soldiers 1). Don’t get me wrong, I thought it was brilliant while it was being published. But reading the issues closer together made all of the little connections work better, and helped it feel like a cohesive story and not just 30 issues of Grant Morrison madness (even though it is absolutely 30 issues of Grant Morrison madness).

2 Likes

Indeed this project was better ingested on a binge. But I did enjoy the singular issues trickling out. Fantastic covers. Each "series " with its own feel or take on the material as a whole. The marketing worked on me

1 Like

Me too, @keylimetyrant. I remember how sad I was as it was coming to an end. It was a wonderful ride.

1 Like

It was not ye’ Average series event. It was a deluxe circus! And I believe it was worthy of the attention it received. Morrison and company delivered a memorable project.

1 Like