Forgotten Characters

Ariana Dzerchenko! Tim Drake’s Russian immigrant original puppy love. She was in 58 issues, but is probably best remembered for one particularly afterschool special moment. I’ve been in a productive/artistic slump. When that happens, I’ll often do fanart of characters I don’t have as much emotional investment in (this way, it’s not as disappointing if the results suck, haha).

8 Likes

Oh my god! I actually remember that story! Yeah, not the best… very PSA. The art is great, though!

2 Likes

I remember Ariana!

I was about to ask why they never did anything else with her, but… yeah, she wasn’t really that interesting.

2 Likes

Oh man. Do you take requests? I’d love to see Dani Garrett, the original Blue Beetle’s granddaughter in Blue Beetle (2006).

3 Likes

@Batwing52 Thanks! Ariana moments I’ll always remember: the PSA announcement, and the time when Gotham was pretty much collapsing in on itself (either during Contagion or Cataclysm), and she was home dying her hair. :joy: @BatJamags Yeaaaaah. She essentially existed as a plot device to give Tim grief about maintaining his secret identity. I vaguely remember the breakup being out of the blue… Like, one minute they were determined to survive going to different schools, and in the next, I think they decided it wasn’t worth it? I was team Spoiler, so I didn’t cry over the loss, haha. @HubCityQuestion - for sure!

4 Likes

If you’ve read Strangers in Paradise, would you mind doing a Katchoo or David (or whoever your favorite character is, those are mine)? I’m sorry, I know @HCQ just gave you a request, but I think your art style would work really well for that cast. It’s strangely reminiscent of Terry Moore.

2 Likes

Batwing52 - I haven’t read it, but I’m always happy to give new titles a try! For the sketch request, could you maybe name an issue or two that can help me get a feel for the characters? And hopefully someday I can be in terry’s league! Im kinda floundering around when it comes to style. Hopefully, the more I practice, my style will find me. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Aaaaaa thank you! One of my favorite DC characters nobody remembers.

2 Likes

Thank YOU for giving me something to work on while I sludge my way through this art block :wink:

1 Like

@CynicalPink
I’d recommend checking out the second trade (or issues 1-9 of the 1994 series), which I believe was called I Dream Of You. It’s a much better start to the series than the first trade and will give you a really good feel for the cast of SiP as a whole and Katchoo and David very specifically.

2 Likes

And also, thanks! I feel like I should have said that…

2 Likes

Yw, Batwing! And I’m two issues into volume 2. This story’s addicting.

2 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it!

2 Likes