First Look At Netflix's "The Sandman"!

Via Netflix’s FanDome TUTUM online event:

11 Likes

Wow. Just wow.

Straight out of the comic.

5 Likes

This looks awesome! Very much looking forward to it!

I don’t use watch along apps like Teleparty much, but I could see doing that with Sandman with my friends. That would be fun!

5 Likes

Definitely – though I imagine we’ll probably have watch alongs here on DCUI as well!

5 Likes

It looks amazing. I can’t wait!!

4 Likes

Me neither – the only annoying thing about this sneak peek was that there was no indication of when the show’s coming out. Hell, I’d even take a 2022, since it’s unlikely it’ll be out by this year.

…Though it’d be awesome if they did! Maybe a Christmas release?

4 Likes

Interesting, he’s certainly not the Sandman I know! :grin:

3 Likes

I haven’t done a watch along here in a long time. Is it still everyone starts on their own at the same time and type in a thread here, or is a separate app used for everyone to synchronize and talk in?

In any event, hopefully show creators take advantage of Dolby Atmos on Netflix. I want my system to get a serious workout with this!

4 Likes

We need a spin-off series of the street level noir detective Sandman :100:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Unbelievably stoked, cannot believe that HBO/WB licensed this (and Y The Last Man) but vertigo series are uniquely ready to be serial tv and SANDMAN is the best (or among at least)

This looks incredible, though i’m not convinced on Dream Casting

2 Likes

In case you don’t know, this is based on the Sandman series from the 90s by Neil Gaiman. The first arc is on DCUI right now:

That would be cool – maybe he could show up in season 2?

With Y: The Last Man, and some other creator-owned Vertigo properties, the contracts for them weren’t as tight-knit as some of the others. Basically, WB gets specifically first rights to adapt the properties, and if they don’t do it within a certain amount of time, the creators have the right to shop it around. Another example of this is Scalped, which was optioned for WGN of all places for a pilot that never saw the light of day.

Y: The Last Man started at WB as a regular movie, I believe at the time Shia Lebouf was attached to play Yorick, but it never went through. So Vaughn got a deal with FX, and the rest is history.

Sandman I don’t think is quite in the same deal, but I imagine that Netflix not only pitched it, but offered to put some if not all of their own cash to the budget. Netflix has REALLY deep pockets, and I guess WB figured if they want to chip in, that’s fine.

4 Likes

Looks interestingly awesome™:+1:

2 Likes

It looks like it’s ripped straight out of the comics. This trailer and Neil Gaiman’s involvement has me very excited.

3 Likes

Since we get a show, can we get merch back in the official store?

1 Like
4 Likes

Anyone else feeling nervous, or just me…?

2 Likes

Maybe it gets moved to HBO Max.

2 Likes

Not really. They’ve lost a chunk of subscribers but they’re still the biggest streamer out there. That was always going to happen between people transitioning out of the “pandemic era”, inflation affecting people and, frankly, stronger competition.

It’s not to say they shouldn’t worry at all, they should probably step it up since Disney+ and HBO Max are also going for their market, but honestly I feel like most of the people hyping Netflix’s downfall are mostly people who are either pissed that their specific show got cancelled or high on that “gEt WoKe gO bRoKe” crap.

3 Likes
4 Likes