First Look At Leslie Grace as Batgirl!

The suit looks awesome! Thanks for posting the comic book version to compare!

Batgirl should be a theatrical release instead of an HBO Max release. Blue Beetle made the transition from HBO Max to theatrical. Batgirl should too! 2

movies with Latino/a superhero leads = groundbreaking!

8 Likes

Wait… what? When? How have I not heard about this!?

5 Likes
8 Likes

Absolutely. YES.

x2270shf

9 Likes

I would be totally happy with that, though given what we saw in the concept art shown during DC Fandome '21.

This tells me that if we get an upgraded costume, it will probably be closer to the one from the initial New 52 run. Of course, it’s possible that they thought of doing the New 52 costume at first and then decided to use the Burnside outfit later. I guess we’ll just find out sometime this year or next.

Well, this is being written by Christina Hodson, who wrote Birds of Prey. Though I imagine it’s probably going to be something more in-between – it won’t be as dark and gritty as your standard Batman movie, but it won’t be as manic as Birds of Prey: Or the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.

I’m pretty sure that was the intent when they first designed the outfit for the comics.

I’m conflicted by this. On one hand, if you asked me which movie would be better for a theatrical release, I would say being related to the Batman franchise would make Batgirl an easy sell. On the other hand, I think it’s fair to say that Blue Beetle probably lends itself to more CGI sci-fi spectacle that will probably work better in theaters considering the trends of the times.

I dunno, either way, theatrical or streaming, I’m going to be seeing both on opening weekend at the very least.

11 Likes

I love it, but I love Burnside & year one & Y. Craig style. So that tracks lol. Excited for this movie!!!

9 Likes

Somehow I completely missed that Christina Hodson was writing this?! Now I’m even more excited.

8 Likes

It doesn’t need the zipper

4 Likes

Agreed! It’s definitely got aspects of it.

5 Likes

I like it, while I generally dislike the burnside costume, it DOES work for year one first costume type thing, I’m just super excited that this movie is really happening

6 Likes

I love it, and it certainly feels authentic and homemade. I’m reminded of when Peter Parker’s suit in Captain America: Civil War was first revealed. Like with the MCU, DC seems to have been making new outfits for its adult heroes in the films (which I loved in the MCU, but Ben Affleck’s and Henry Cavill’s suits leave much to be desired imo), but remaining classic with the kids. Which makes sense, from an in-universe standpoint (or, it does with Babs; The suit in which Peter appeared in that trailer was, of course, created by Tony Stark): Kids usually don’t have the means that Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne do, and also generally, in my limited experience, have a more “go-big-or-go-home” mentality when it comes to art, whether it’s graphic design or storytelling (As a matter of fact, in Hawkeye, a more comics-accurate costume for Barton is designed by Kate). But, like with Peter Parker, I’d like to see Babs branch out with a new suit in each appearance. Some of them should be quite accurate to the comics, and others should be designed with reckless disregard for absolutely anything.

4 Likes

I want a costume more on the lines of Three Jokers Batgirl.

5 Likes

Great costume, love the Burnside look myself, would prefer a more subdued shade of purple like the comics, but you gotta make our girl pop on screen. Can’t wait.

4 Likes

Like it a lot, looks sleek, not overly sexualized and somewhat tactical

6 Likes

I am actually very excited to see Leslie Grace as Batgirl \

5 Likes

Gus from Psych!!!

6 Likes

I’m in the same boat @Izzy11. It does work as a first year costume. I hope she gets an upgrade though. I’m also psyched this is happening. How cool is it we live in a time when all these characters can get adaptations!

5 Likes

Thank you for mentioning that! I appreciate that the suit is not sexualized and is very utilitarian! I’m so sick of males getting full-body armor while females getting thin pieces of fabric that barely cover what they must cover! It’s time to end that trope!

6 Likes

I mean, it being cosplay would be a perfect way to modernize her masquerade ball origins (and separate her from her father, if necessary for the story).

Personally, my opposition to the Burnside costume is tied entirely to the fact that it replaced a story direction I loved and wasn’t a very well written transition. But the look itself is fun, and as others have mentioned, more realistic, less objectifying, and the colors reminiscent of Yvonne Craig, all of which are good things. We don’t need another all-black leotard bat show.

Can’t wait to see how the story and characterization are, because, frankly, all of that is more important than whether the costume fits some ridiculous preconceived expectation. I’ve loved everything they’ve brought to screen via DCU/HBOM so far (to varying degrees, of course), and am looking forward to it.

6 Likes

I love the Burnside vibes and I think it’s the perfect first costume.

5 Likes