First Come Ever Read?

What was the first ever comic you guys ever read?

2 Likes

New Teen Titans

My dad gave me an oversized anthology reprint of Fawcett era Captain Marvel comics when I was just 3. I’ve been reading comics ever since.

1 Like

Would have been a kids comic from the 60s. My favorites were Sad Sack, Casper and Lil Hot Stuff so probably one of them.

Uncanny X-Men 310

1 Like

A big collection of Batman stories from the 1950s.

1 Like

A collection reprinting the very first Spider-Man stories. My dad used to read Spider-Man comics, so he got it as a gift for me since he remembered enjoying them. I loved that book. Actually my love for that book is what lead my dad to buy me the Batman, Justice League, and Green Lantern stories that got me interested in DC. He also took me to my first comic shop, where I picked up Gotham by Gaslight and the first two issues of the Long Halloween, which were the first individual issues I ever read.

1 Like

Random kids’ stuff in my childhood. A lot of it strips from dad’s newspaper.

Started reading comics regularly right around the time New 52 started. First thing I read was Superman #1 from 2011. Haven’t stopped since.

2 Likes

DC: The Untold Legend of The Batman mini-series. Specifically the smaller sized reprints that came in boxes of the Batman cereal that tied into the 1989 flick when it came out. With regard to that cereal, and to quote humorist Jean Sheppard: “I can still remember the taste.”

Marvel: The Son of Origins of Marvel Comics trade. I checked it out from the library all the time when I was a kid. I loved this book.

Other publishers: Malibu Comics’ Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #1. It was a random new release purchase from a comic store I went to on occassion when I was a kid.

Most of my initial exposure to non-DC/Marvel properties was through toys more than anything.

I came to know of WildC.A.T.S (when Wildstorm was under Image), Spawn, Youngblood, Wetworks, Ultraforce, Warrior Nun Areala, Witchblade, Ash, Evil Ernie, Gen-13, Rising Stars and alot of other properties due to the toys based on them and their coverage from assorted toy collecting magazines and websites in the 90’s. Good, good times.

2 Likes

The first DC comic I read was Detective Comics 255 in 1958 with a dinosaur on the cover. I dont have the comic but i have the story in a Batman 80 page giant reprint.

Then Justice League of America last Brave and Bold appearance.

2 Likes

An issue of post CoIE Superman … I think still in the teens where he was fighting some bulky wild woman in a garbage dump.

1 Like

If only I could remember that far back. Most likely an original Star Trek comic. My brother and sister collected them.

The first ones I remember resonating with me were the re-animation and Sacrifuce of Proty in Adventure Comics LoSH run and the origin of Thor from Origins of Marvel Comics. The latter got me into studying all types of mythologies, which had a profound impact on my life.

1 Like

Superboy and the Legion of Superheros #206-The Legionnaire s who haunted Superboy. Mom got it for me at a garage sale she drug me to. Fell in love with comics that Saturday 4 decades ago

1 Like

Joker #1 1975 1st comic I bought & read in 1983.