First Black Label experience disappoints

[INCREDIBLY MILD SPOILERS]
I feel like all I’m doing is complaining, but I just bought the first book of the Miller/Romita Superman Year One series. It’s beautiful…but that’s it. The young Clark story is a horribly cliched tale about high school bullies, that reads more like an After School Special. Miller’s dialog is hokey and woefully out of touch. The story doesn’t bring anything new…except enrolling Clark in the Navy?!

When I think of it, I can’t really remember the last thing I’ve read from Miller that I’ve enjoyed…maybe Sin City or Martha Washington? I need to stop hoping he’ll somehow rediscover past glory (at least for me).

And this is a really weird complaint, but the large format didn’t add enough to make up for the inconvenience of it. I have no bags or boards that will fit it. It won’t fit in my long boxes. Not sure how many of these will attract my attention.

On the bright side, I just saw that there’s a new Legion series out. Between that and Adam Strange on the way, I’m super excited.

2 Likes

I know art is subjective but I think JRJR makes some really ugly looking books. When he’s on, he looks great (Daredevil, Spiderman) but he also produces some bad looking stuff

1 Like

I get that. I dig him.

I liked it. The only part I had a problem with was he tells all the girls he loves them and then ditches the on the next page.

1 Like

Yeah, Miller completely went off the deep end during the 90s. He still hasn’t recovered.
-M

4 Likes