Female-Led Plastic Man Movie In Development

I guess that would be a Batman with pale skin, red hair and who is also sexually attracted to men.

6 Likes

If it’s coming from EVS, that should immediately disqualify it

7 Likes

@Angel.Azrael & @MatthewHecht- Hmm. Awful lot of pessimism from you both regarding a motion picture that hasn’t even gone through its inevitable script revisions, lined up financing, brought producers/a director/cast on board, scouted location shooting spots, or built sets yet, let alone released any story synopsis/behind the scenes/in frame footage to disseminate. Perhaps we’re judging this book a bit too much by its cover before reading the pages inside of it?

Y’know, thinking outside of the norms box by the creative set in Hollywood has given audiences some of the greatest moments in entertainment history:

Oh, and let’s not forget- Warner Bros has a bit of history with announcing controversial casting choices that have to date seemed to have worked out just fine.

Maverick risk-takers in the mediums of film and TV have surprised us before on a number of occasions by presenting us with new takes on established characters that at first might have been difficult to process but eventually went on to be some of our most fave characters in their respective big and small screen tenures.

These days all of us living in this contemporary world are witnessing a watershed moment in regards to age-old gender norm based ideals that is producing memorable and meaningful results as it ripples across the worlds of film/TV/Streaming.

The most irresponsible thing we can do as fans is to deprive ourselves of an amazing viewing experience simply because we may still be tethered to an old way of thinking that encumbers our ability to be objective about and open to new ideas about how our fave entertainment content is presented to us. Sure, the outward appearances of these books may not be what we’ve become accustomed to seeing, but what a shame it would be to miss out on the wonderful story that unfolds on the pages inside by simply judging the cover.
:wink: :+1:

10 Likes

Wow, very well put!

6 Likes

Thank you sir! :grinning:

5 Likes

Part of getting excited about upcoming picture is predicting whether it will be good or bad. This naturally means I should think several will be bad or have a bad element. I never complained when somebody said Stargirl, The Land Before Time XIV, Jurassic World, The Good Dinosaur, Monsters University, or Green Lantern TAS looked bad, because the commenters have justifiable opinions they are free to express. In addition I know they (just like myself) do not have time to explore every work of fiction ever, so we have to pick and choose. I am against bad mouthing something just because of the cover, but picking what to explore based on a cover is very justified.

“Thinking outside of the norms…”
First image is a simple adaptation. Nothing out of the norm story wise, but it was a huge effects deal. The second image is the opposite. It is Lucas going back to the old ways of film and bringing them back.
I do not see any relationship this has to Keaton. Burton worked with Keaton in the past, and he knew what he could and could not pull off. He knew the comedian could do subtle scary and secrecy, and Burton knew how to hide his less than imposing physique.

Meanwhile the only casting detail this early on is “female-led.” If they have an actress this early that is normally announced now. It looks like it is stunt casting the wrong sex for the sake of getting free publicity on the internet (working here). Sure they might have a reason for hiring their actress’s name, but I highly doubt they know who she is yet.

Batman and Batman Returns are the 2nd and 4th best Batman movies ever, and seeing their box office numbers make me happy.

That has been done for centuries. Just look at “As You Like It” and “Much ado about Nothing.” Those were not done by taking male characters and swapping them, but by using established female characters or making new ones. (I might need to watch more TV, as I have little idea what these three pictures are of. The third one has really nice lighting. The yellow sky looks great).

“The most irresponsible thing we can do to ourselves as fans”- is to murder creators we disagree with. Not watching a movie is definitely not worse than when Ceaser Augustus exiled his nation’s greatest poet to the Caucus, or when Britain kicked out Oscar Wilde.

You would be amazed at all the weird media I have checked out because of how odd it looked. Speaking of that have you ever watched Plague Dogs?

“Thanks for staying 'til the end.”

6 Likes

7 Likes

Wait? He isn’t dead? Shia Surprise.

3 Likes

Nuke the idea from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

7 Likes

And even then, keep an eye out to make sure it doesn’t resurface. Can’t be too careful

6 Likes

Last 3 images, are newer roles that used to be played by men. 1. James Bond’s boss M. 2. Starbuck from Battlestar Gallactica. 3. Doctor Who.

5 Likes

I was just going to ignore the movie, since DC’s Plastic Man is…hard to like, but there are two versions that would work well and one that could easily work for a woman in today’s political climate.

My favorite version of the character is from The Brave and the Bold #95, #123, and #148. It’s a surprisingly good story, but I don’t think it’d work today and gender-swapping that to “woman with few options is manipulated by a rich man” has been done to death.

The better possibility for the movie, though, would be to go back to the original Jack Cole/Quality material, where Plastic Man is basically a sardonic vigilante who quips about how silly the villains and crimes are. That could work well, and a female version could easily shift into haranguing the villains for having the aforementioned inevitable comments about her “plastic” body.

Regardless of whether I like DC’s version of the character, I do respect the attempt to push the franchise as a still-central part of the DCEU, because DC has a handful of franchises that were extremely successful for decades (Shazam/Marvel Family is another), who have been marginalized for the sin of being “adopted” from another company.

4 Likes

Pitch: a teenage girl starts to develop strange stretching powers and tracks down her deadbeat father, who turns out to be a low rent crook who uses the same powers to rob banks. She convinces him to go straight and use his abilities to fight crime, becoming Plastic Man.

10 Likes

Perfect

4 Likes

I am not a big fan of Plastic Man and find gender altering a character is almost always an unneeded alteration. It usually reflects a creative team that’s not very creative. Why change one when you can create a new one in any gender you wish. Look they have a she Hulk; a Plastic Woman is just fine and limit Plastic Man to a limited role or absent except for a poster on a wall.

6 Likes

I actually think that could work, maybe even add some new lore to his canon in the comics?

4 Likes

Never complained about Ripley from Alien or Wonder Woman as a lead so for me seeing a woman as the main protagonist is not the issue. All I’m saying is NO to pointless gender swaps. If Azrael got a movie and had a woman portraying him I would feel cheated and you would probably feel the same if a pointless swap happened to Barbara Gordon and she became Bob Gordon or something.

6 Likes

I don’t see those things as 100% equivalent. Barbara Gordon’s struggle for acceptance in a misogynistic world is a central part of her character. At best, Azrael’s gender is the most likely gender that a super-conservative religious order would choose for its assassin, but it’s otherwise more incidental to his character than being a woman is to Babs.

For better or worse, most male characters are people who happen to be men, not people whose identity is strongly intertwined with manhood.

6 Likes

Well if not Azrael then if Plastic Man’s identity can be changed so can Barbara’s. Being funny is a huge part of Plastic Man’s character and that didn’t stop them from swapping. Male comedians often make really weird facial expressions or act stupid to make themselves look funny and goofy. Female comedians almost never to this. The fact that Plastic Man’s superpowers allowed him to do this just fit perfectly with how lots of men try to be funny.

Jim Carry making Joker face for example.

5 Likes

Give Knox a grant

4 Likes