:characters_of_dc: Feline Fatale: Catwoman :characters_of_dc:

Here’s how I’d rank the cinematic Catwomen:

1. Michelle Pfeiffer
  2. Zoë Kravitz
  3. Lee Merriweather
  4. Anne Hathaway
  5. Halle Berry

If I were including the two actresses from the 1960s TV series, they would both go above Lee Merriweather. But Michelle remains the best performance so far, and Zoë is a strong runner-up. Anne was much better out of the costume than in it . . . and so was Halle, for that matter.

2 Likes

I don’t want to spoil anything, but she is different, more modern, but I felt she was still true to the heart of her character. I also like that she’s more of a secrete vigilante in this, and uses being a “thief” to hide her true movements. I mean Catwoman does change sides a lot to help Batman out, but in this, she’s helping people because it’s the right thing to do, and no one knows she’s doing it, not even the heroes, and she likes it that way. She’s not in it for the recognition, she keeps them thinking the worst of her, meanwhile she is the least shellfish of them all. And I really liked seeing that.

2 Likes

Also, since we are discussing Selina Kyle here I thought I’d leave a link to the JSA Book Club’s current discussion dealing with Helena Wayne aka Huntress, who is the daughter of Earth-Two’s Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle

2 Likes

Ok so Michell Pheiffer was my favorite Catwoman until I saw The Batman. I loved Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. Again she was a more modern take on the character, but was also true to the character. Similar to Catwoman Hunted her motives are more about trying to help people, in her own skewed morals. She’s a lot darker than her animated counterpart, but that’s to be expected.

I also felt like she had the best athletic ability of any of the Catwomen we have seen. The comics always describe Selina as having flowing movements similar to a cat, and when you see her and how she moves and interacts, I would agree with that description.

As a whole the whole movie was great and really follows the heart of the stories in The Long Halloween and Batman Earth One.

4 Likes

That sounds really cool @AlexCarr. Now I really want to watch both of these.

1 Like

I agree I think Anne was a great Selina Kyle, but not great as Catwoman. It’s a shame, is she had gotten Catwoman’s act down as well as she had Selina’s I think she would have gone down as the best Catwoman persona we have seen.

4 Likes

I recommend them both. Catwoman Hunted isn’t on HBO Max yet, but it is $6 to rent on Amazon Prime.

My only complain about The Batman is it’s a 3 hour movie. It keeps you engaged the whole time, but it really sucks since you will likely have to take a bathroom break in it, and you don’t want to miss a thing. :joy:

Also fun fact, Jay Lycurgo, who plays Tim Drake on Titans, has a guest start appearance at the beginning of the movie. As a huge Titans fan, it was fun!

1 Like

And here we are folks. The last post of the month.

I don’t think this series needs any introduction. Just how much trouble can three of Gotham’s finest villainous ladies get into? Lets.find out as we dive into a few issues of Paul Dini’s Gotham City Sirens.

Reading

* Gotham City Sirens #1-4

Discussion Point

What did you think of Catwoman and her portrayal here?

And that wraps up this month’s session. Next month I thought we’d check out The Challengers of the Unknown. So stay tuned!

5 Likes

It was different to see Selina interacting with Harley and Ivy. I thought the flashback where Talia was helping her was surprising. I’ve never thought that Talia would help Selina in any way, but there is still a lot of DC comics from 1993 to the present that I am not familiar with. This looks to be a good series.

1 Like

I always did enjoy seeing the three of them in a teamup situation and I really enjoyed this series. You should definitely give it a go.

2 Likes