:characters_of_dc: Feline Fatale: Catwoman :characters_of_dc:

Batman #1:

First off, I have to say that while this wasn’t Batman’s first appearance, this being the first issue of his own ongoing series is amazing due to how stacked it is. First, we have the last part of a series of stories that dealt with one of Batman’s earliest recurring villains in Hugo Strange, and then we get the first introductions of inarguably two of Batman’s most popular and important rogues in The Joker and Catwoman.

Now, as for the Catwoman story…in terms of the other stories, this one might be the weakest, but it has its share of pros to it.

One thing that’s pretty unique about this story is that there’s surprisingly more of a Robin story. Batman at first can’t be bothered with this case so he has Robin do most of the leg work, which is kinda cool. Even when Batman shows up, I love the sequence where Batman and Robin corner the hoods in their boat, Batman decides to just sic Robin on them in a total flex move.

Speaking of which, I got a good chuckle from the crooks that commendeered the yacht after The Cat already stole the diamonds.

Finally, we get Batman and “The Cat” meeting and, yes, the “quiet or papa spank” is as hilarious as it is iconic, but the rest of their interaction works pretty well. Much like Joker in this issue, they pretty much figured this character and her dynamic with Batman almost from the start.

So…yeah, great story overall.

4 Likes

I agree on both counts.

I thought that was unique as well. Really gave Robin a chance to shine.

It all begins here and no matter how things change or who plays her there is always an echo or resonance to this first meeting there. She, like Joker, is universal constant.

Times and writers change but the basic dynamics of both these characters and Batman stay the same.

4 Likes

Over the years there have been so many actresses that have played Catwoman on tv and everyone has their personal favorite. This week we will be discussing Selina Kyles’s various appearances across decades of tv series.

Who is your favorite television version of Catwoman?

Who is your favorite Catwoman froma telvision series?
  • Julie Newmar (Batman '66)
  • Eartha Kitt (Batman '66)
  • Camren Bicondova (Gotham)
  • Adrienne Barbeau (Batman: The Animated Series)
  • Gina Gershon (The Batman)
  • Nika Futterman (Batman: The Brave and the Bold)
  • Sanaa Latham (Harley Quinn)

0 voters

Discussion Point
This time we have the above poll but in case I missed someone’s favorite go ahead and post them below and tell me why you think they are the best.

INTERESTING TIBITS

• Due to the success of the animated series FOX approached Bruce Timm to make a spin-off Catwoman series but it never happened.

• Catwoman was originally supposed to be featured in Super Friends as a member of the Legion of Doom but was replaced by Cheetah due to The New Adventures of Batman being in development, which had dibs on the character.

• Eartha Kitt, who replaced Julie Newmar, once spoke about her role as Catwoman in a 2006 interview with The Austin Chronicle saying: “I probably would do it now as the mother of the cat. I love doing the character. I didn’t have to think about it: I didn’t try to be a cat: I am a cat.”

• Camren Bicondova spoke about her role as Catwoman to Collider in 2014 saying “The only three words that I can describe this experience with are awesome, an honor and grateful…I’m getting to show a side of Selina Kyle that nobody’s ever seen before and that’s cool. I feel pretty special.”

3 Likes

A good catwoman story to read is batman hush!
Now, the book shows a fun relationshp betwen catwoman and batman, and also, loved the interaction between catwoman and huntress at the end, i would describe it expect, i think it would be better if you read it for your self!

2 Likes

I have to say I really like Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman in The Batman. I felt like she played a modern one well.

I also really liked Jennifer Morrison in Batman Hush Animated movie.

4 Likes

I am sory but, mabie the acting of catwoman hush was good, but the roghting, was not in the batman hush story line, catwoman tried to convince batman not to murder, and now in the movie, she is trying to convince batman to kill.Just no!

1 Like

I guess it’s been too long since I’ve seen it, I just remember licking their love story and thinking she fit him well. :joy:

1 Like

Ok so I just watched Catwoman Hunted. Anyone else seen it? Thoughts? I liked this version of Catwoman

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet but I am planning to watch it this week sometime. What did you like about this version of Catwoman?

1 Like

Selina Kyle has made a few appearances on the big screen in addition to her television appearances we talked about last week. From the Batman '66 movie to the Batman movie that was just released on March 4th Catwoman has made an impression on movie goers for decades. So…

Who is your favorite Catwoman in the movies?
  • Lee Merriweather (Batman '66 movie)
  • Michelle Pfeiffer (Batman Returns)
  • Anne Hathaway (Dark Knight Rises)
  • Zoe Kravitz (The Batman)

0 voters

Discussion Point

If any of you have seen The Batman, what did you think of Zoe Kravitz as Selina Kyle compared to others who have been in that role? Please keep your answers as non-spoiler-y as possible for those who may not have seen the movie yet.

Next week we will close out this session with a look at a team-up between Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. Yep, I’m talking about some Gotham City Sirens action. See you all there.

3 Likes

Here’s how I’d rank the cinematic Catwomen:

1. Michelle Pfeiffer
  2. Zoë Kravitz
  3. Lee Merriweather
  4. Anne Hathaway
  5. Halle Berry

If I were including the two actresses from the 1960s TV series, they would both go above Lee Merriweather. But Michelle remains the best performance so far, and Zoë is a strong runner-up. Anne was much better out of the costume than in it . . . and so was Halle, for that matter.

2 Likes

I don’t want to spoil anything, but she is different, more modern, but I felt she was still true to the heart of her character. I also like that she’s more of a secrete vigilante in this, and uses being a “thief” to hide her true movements. I mean Catwoman does change sides a lot to help Batman out, but in this, she’s helping people because it’s the right thing to do, and no one knows she’s doing it, not even the heroes, and she likes it that way. She’s not in it for the recognition, she keeps them thinking the worst of her, meanwhile she is the least shellfish of them all. And I really liked seeing that.

2 Likes

Also, since we are discussing Selina Kyle here I thought I’d leave a link to the JSA Book Club’s current discussion dealing with Helena Wayne aka Huntress, who is the daughter of Earth-Two’s Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle

2 Likes

Ok so Michell Pheiffer was my favorite Catwoman until I saw The Batman. I loved Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. Again she was a more modern take on the character, but was also true to the character. Similar to Catwoman Hunted her motives are more about trying to help people, in her own skewed morals. She’s a lot darker than her animated counterpart, but that’s to be expected.

I also felt like she had the best athletic ability of any of the Catwomen we have seen. The comics always describe Selina as having flowing movements similar to a cat, and when you see her and how she moves and interacts, I would agree with that description.

As a whole the whole movie was great and really follows the heart of the stories in The Long Halloween and Batman Earth One.

4 Likes

That sounds really cool @AlexCarr. Now I really want to watch both of these.

1 Like

I agree I think Anne was a great Selina Kyle, but not great as Catwoman. It’s a shame, is she had gotten Catwoman’s act down as well as she had Selina’s I think she would have gone down as the best Catwoman persona we have seen.

4 Likes

I recommend them both. Catwoman Hunted isn’t on HBO Max yet, but it is $6 to rent on Amazon Prime.

My only complain about The Batman is it’s a 3 hour movie. It keeps you engaged the whole time, but it really sucks since you will likely have to take a bathroom break in it, and you don’t want to miss a thing. :joy:

Also fun fact, Jay Lycurgo, who plays Tim Drake on Titans, has a guest start appearance at the beginning of the movie. As a huge Titans fan, it was fun!

1 Like

And here we are folks. The last post of the month.

I don’t think this series needs any introduction. Just how much trouble can three of Gotham’s finest villainous ladies get into? Lets.find out as we dive into a few issues of Paul Dini’s Gotham City Sirens.

Reading

* Gotham City Sirens #1-4

Discussion Point

What did you think of Catwoman and her portrayal here?

And that wraps up this month’s session. Next month I thought we’d check out The Challengers of the Unknown. So stay tuned!

5 Likes

It was different to see Selina interacting with Harley and Ivy. I thought the flashback where Talia was helping her was surprising. I’ve never thought that Talia would help Selina in any way, but there is still a lot of DC comics from 1993 to the present that I am not familiar with. This looks to be a good series.

1 Like

I always did enjoy seeing the three of them in a teamup situation and I really enjoyed this series. You should definitely give it a go.

2 Likes