Favorite Vertigo Books

With the closure of Vertigo, I thought it was a good time for a retrospective on the amount of great comics that have come out of the imprint since it started in 1993. My favorites have always been the following:

-Transmetropolitan
-The Losers
-Scalped
-John Constantine, Hellblazer
-Doom Patrol

Other good series include Fables, Sandman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Preacher, etc.

Which do you like the most?

vertigo.jpg

3 Likes

Fables
The unwritten
Y the last man
Sandman Mystery Theatre

And of course
Sandman

1 Like

@TurokSonOfStone1950
Dang, I forgot about Y: The Last Man. That’s a great book, too. One of those ones that you can just dive into and finish in a sitting or three. I also forgot to mention Daytripper, somehow. Don’t know how that happened.

Transmetropolitan is my favorite Vertigo series. Spider-Jerusalem is a hero to one and all.

The Losers is fun too. I’m no music geek, but I highly enjoyed The Vinyl Underground when it came out.

1 Like

Vertigo books got me really into comics, especially:
Swamp Thing
Sandman
Transmetropolitan
Preacher
Ya know…the classics. But also:
Animal Man
Sweet Tooth
Scalped
The Invisibles
The list just goes on and on…

@DeadmanBrand
Is Invisibles worth reading? I always found it kind of impenetrable.

@Batwing I’m a big Morrison-head, so it’s kind of that it’s his most personal thing more than it’s his best work. It is difficult to get into. There were big breaks while being published. Some of the artists are better than others. It holds a special place for me, however. I was not around while it was being published (or way too young and not aware) and it was a series I pieced together out of back issue bins instead of buying the trades. So I also have this ‘chunk-at-a-time’ as I found them and not always in order experience with it. But I do treasure that hunt in putting a whole run together, especially one that runs over three volumes, the last of which counts backwards haha. So my personal experience with it is probably stronger than the story is at this point. It’s due for a re-read, however.

Fables
Doom patrol
Y the last man
hellblazer
Swamp thing

1 Like

Animal Man

1 Like

Haven’t read much Vertigo, but I recently started reading American Vampire, and really liked it. It’s got some great art, and really compelling characters. Would highly recommend it.

Y the Last Man
Hellblazer
Northlanders
DMZ
Doom Patrol
Animal Man
Preacher
Swamp Thing
Scalped
Sweet Tooth
Fables

And of course the great 100 Bullets, and the greatest comic ever: Sandman

2 Likes

The only one I ever read more then one or two issues of (minus Animal Man’s pre-Vertigo issues) is Fables, but that was a great comic.

1 Like

I think my favourite Vertigo series was Human Target, but I also really loved Madame Xanadu, iZombie, and Air. Oh, and The Losers was perfect.

2 Likes

Can someone tell me why preacher is great? It’s very readable but I don’t know why people think it’s transcendental.

@shaddaaaymalik.70817
Preacher isn’t massively important for one reason in particular. As you mentioned, it is extremely entertaining and funny, but it is so because of a level of satire and biting commentary rare in ANY medium, not just comics. It’s also singular for being able to simultaneously mock and praise Christianity in a way that is actually quite emotionally honest and touching, even to an atheist such as myself.

1 Like

Astro City, Doom Patrol. I have Six Days on my reading pile, but I haven’t read it. Six Days may be the last DC / Vertigo publication.

1 Like

Preacher, Hellblazer, izombie, Jonah Hex, shade the changing man, Zatanna: everyday magic.

1 Like

Fables!!!

1 Like

The Invisibles
John Constantine, Hellblazer
The Sandman
Books of Magic
Transmetropolitan
Doom Patrol
House of Mystery
The Dreaming
Preacher