favorite superman story?

What is your favorite superman comic? For me, I’m actually not sure what my FAVORITE is but i LOVE stories like for all seasons and all star superman.

1 Like

Every year one story keeps climbing to the top of my list:

Superman: Secret Identity. It’s a wonderful story by Kurt Busiek that gets me every time.

I’ve not read that one.

My favorite actually comes from STAS, S3E2 Knight Time, when Bruce goes missing and Tim recruits Supes to stand in as Batman. It fun, funny, and a realization for Superman, that for all his powers, he’s not really a great detective.

All-Star Superman. In my opinion, the greatest Superman story ever.

I love that “knight time” episode! That’s a great pull!

Action Comics #8, “Superman in the Slums”
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/action-comics-1938-8/4fbf5099-3820-4a40-ae62-c060b90a2fd1

Runner Up: Fleischer Studios Superman #8, “Volcano”
https://www.dcuniverse.com/videos/watch/volcano/d5c8b484-8211-4ff7-9b8b-d59494c3a79d

1 Like

The one with Petey.

2 Likes

I can give you a top five:

1. All-Star Superman

2. Superman #156

3. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

4. Superman vs. Muhammed Ali

5. Superman: American Alien

Honorable Mentions:

-Superman #149
Why didn’t it make the list?: Honestly, this is an incredible Superman story that every fan of him should have a copy of, it’s just that it has many of the same themes as numbers 1 and 2 on the list, and they’re touched on better in those stories.

-Superman Adventures #27
Why didn’t it make the list?: This has even less to do with the quality than the comic above. Honestly, if I were just ranking these stories on how much I enjoyed them, this would be in third place. It’s just that more than it is a Superman story, it’s a Lex Luthor story. It’s about how (as the title suggests) a person can make a judgement, and hate eternally based on it, regardless of reality. It’s easily the best Lex story, but that’s why it doesn’t belong on a list of best Superman stories.

-Superman: Secret Identity
Why didn’t it make the list?: This miniseries is excellent. The art is excellent. The writing is excellent. Everything about it is excellent. It’s just that, much like Superman Adventures #27, it’s not about Superman. This is a story about why Superman matters to us, the readers. The Superman in this story isn’t Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet, it’s Clark Kent, kid who’s so surrounded by “Superman” that he doesn’t understand Superman (without quotations). He fails to see the forest for the trees. And then he gets superpowers. What could have easily come off as condescending instead is sweet, emotional, and most meaningfully, genuine.

Sorry, I realize I didn’t write it, but the title of Superman Adventures #27 is “How Much Can One Man Hate?”.