Favorite Superman Comic/Story Arc?

I’m a huge superman fan, I loved TAS as a kid. I tried watching the Christopher reeves movies but whenever they were on TV they would be in the middle or they’ll be ending so I never got to fully enjoy them. I remember in middle school some of my friends would hate on superman saying he’s too overpowered so that makes him boring but honestly after reading; for all seasons, Red son, American Alien, For the man who has everything I Definitely disagree, Superman is a great character. Those are some of my favorite superman comics, what’re yours?

9 Likes

The Death and Return of Superman is my favorite tale to star The Man of Steel.

A few other favorites:

● Kryptonite Nevermore
● anything with art by Curt Swan
● Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?
● anything by John Byrne
● Time and Time Again
● The Trial of Superman
● anything with Superman Blue/Red
● Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness’ run on Superman
● the Public Enemies and The Return of the Supergirl from Krypton arcs of Superman/Batman
● Godfall
● For Tomorrow
● Up, Up and Away!
● Last Son
● Superman Confidential (quite possibly the most underrated Superman ongoing of the modern era)
● War of the Supermen
● Superman Unchained
● Son of Superman (everything from the Rebirth volume of Superman TBH, but this arc especially)
● Up in the Sky
● Robert Venditti’s run in Superman Giant v2/Superman: Man of Tomorrow

9 Likes

Full disclosure: I really haven’t read a lot of Superman, but I recently read Superman: For Tomorrow after it was recommended to me by a DCU member. I really loved it and it’s probably one of my all time favorites now. I think it’s a super interesting take on the character. I’m a huge fan of taking some of the strongest characters and breaking them down a bit. Superman really felt more MAN than super in that run, which I loved. Brian Azzarello’s writing was phenomenal as usual and it explored a lot of interesting aspects of the character. It’s actually Henry Cavill’s favorite run if I’m not mistaken. Which makes since because it feels like everything Zack Snyder tried to do, but kind of flopped on in my opinion.

5 Likes

Here are 12 Superman stories that I think are great (in no particular order)…

Up in the Sky
Secret Origin
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
Secret Identity
Brainiac (Johns and Frank)
For All Seasons
Superman #7 (Rebirth)
Superman #39 (New 52)
Superman #39 (Rebirth)
Man of Steel (Bendis)
The Truth Revealed (Bendis, Reis)
Superman Smashes The Klan

3 Likes

Yep! I mention that in my post! :smile:

3 Likes

@Vroom: I love all your choices. But I would like to add a few of my own:
Anything by Dan Jurgens
Anything by Cary Bates
Anything by Marv Wolfman
Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Superman vs. Muhammad Ali
Panic in the Sky
Superman: Secret Origins
Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite
and a few of my favorite Silver Age Supes stories:
Superman vol1, #199 “The Race Between Superman and The Flash”
Superman vol1, #141 “Superman’s Return to Krypton”
Superman vol1, #149 “The Death of Superman”
Superman vol1, #156 “The Last Days of Superman”
Superman vol1. #167 “The Team of Luthor and Brainiac”
Superman vol1, #164 “The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman”
Superman vol1, #168 “Luthor-Super-Hero”
Superman vol1 #184 “The Demon Under The Red Sun”
Superman vol1 # 189 “The Mystery of Krypton’s Second Doom”

6 Likes

Likewise good sir @baseballmaniac01.45870, I enjoy your choices as well.

Join me at the Ace o’ Clubs won’t you? I know the owner. :wink:

4 Likes

Superman: The Man of Steel # 80-82 is one of my favorites. Story about Superman dealing with Nazis in the '40s. It’s part of a larger arc called the Dominus saga which I’ve never read all the way through. I’ll get to it eventually.

One reason I like to recommend it to people is because I rarely see it on “Best Of” lists.
Another one I love is Grant Morrison’s Action Comics run, but while I think that’s underrated, it is a good bit more popular.

2 Likes

For the man who has everything
Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
Supman man of steel miniseries by John Byrn
Doomsday
Reign of the Supermen
Secret Origin

3 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870

What makes
Return to Krypton
Death of Superman
So heart rencbing
Is that they were
Written by Jerry Siegel
After his wife shamed DC
To take him back as a lowly writer
As DC made millions
While the Siegel family lived in poverty

Jerry put his heart and soul.into those stories.

3 Likes

I like to mention Superman Birthright from Mark Waid & Leinil Francis Wu. Stand alone updated take on Superman’s origin. Good stuff.

6 Likes

My favorite Superman series was Superman: American Alien.

I am not a huge Superman fan and even less a fan of his origin stories redo. But this series is different and truly excellent. Each of the 7 books takes on a different story of his life from origin to being a mature Clark Kent. They are also written and use the artwork of different talent. This gives each one a different feel which dovetails very nicely into the stories as he grows, matures, and changes.

If you haven’t read these yet, they are very worthy reads and are in the DCU library. They are standalone books but, imo, they are best read together and in order.

3 Likes

Dude, did you check my username?

4 Likes

Lol! Indeed!

My last paragraph was really aimed at the community as a whole as opposed to you as the OP. But it is a great series, isn’t it? :+1:

1 Like

All-Star Superman is probably the best, and it’s one of my favorite comics of all time. If you like that, Grant Morrison’s run on Action Comics during The New 52 was probably the highlight of that reboot. There’s also Secret Identity, as I see some others have recommended. Secret Origin is a good take on the early days, but it’s nothing you haven’t seen before if you’ve read, well… any Superman books. The first ten or so issues of the Rebirth Superman series are great, but it gets a little repetitive and stale after that. I like Kryptonite (written by Darwyn Cooke and drawn by Tim Sale) quite a bit. And, this is slightly controversial, but I think Bendis’ current take on the character is delightful.

4 Likes

All-Star Superman is my favorite Superman comic ever. Also, Superman: Birthright, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman for All Seasons, and Superman Year One.

4 Likes

It is! I recommended it to my friends that are different ethnic backgrounds because much like Clark we want to learn more about our heritage but we come to accept the US as our home.

1 Like

I’ve never read the story arc that it is from, but your profile picture is awesome!

My Picks:
All-Star Superman
Grant Morrison’s Action Comics
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond

Silver Age:
“Clark Kent’s Incredible Delusion” from Superman Vol.1 #174
“The Amazing Story of Superman Red and Superman Blue” from Superman Vol. 1 #162
“The Sweetheart Superman Forgot” from Superman Vol. 1 #165
“The Lady and The Lion” from Action Comics Vol. 1 #243
“The Girl Who Didn’t Believe in Superman” originally from Superman Vol. 1 #96, but reprinted in Superman #242
“The Star of Steel” from Superman Vol. 1 #196
“The Day Superman Broke the Law” from Superman Vol. 1 #153
“The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman” from Superman Vol. 1 #164
(I could keep going with Silver Age stories, so… I’ll stop for now)

“Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?” from Superman Vol. 1 #423 and Action Comics Vol. 1 #583
“For the Man Who Has Everything…” from Superman Vol. 1 Annual #11

From the Golden Age, I really like Action Comics #3, 8, and 12.

As far as Bronze Age goes, anything by Cary Bates or Elliot S! Maggin is pretty solid.

And, yeah, The Death and Return of Superman from the Modern Age…

4 Likes

Emperor Joker

3 Likes