Favorite “non-comic” medium featuring DC characters

New to the Community so I’m very excited for this to be my first thread -

Besides the comics, which other mediums do you think have done the best job depicting our favorite characters? These can include movies (DCEU, non-DCEU, animated, specific generation of films, etc), TV (Live-Action, CW, animated, etc.), other forms of writing like books or fan fictions, video games, or any others you can think of.

Personally, DC seems to have always been at its strongest in the TV animated world. It might be a generational thing, but shows like Justice League, Batman: The Animated Series, Teen Titans, Static Shock, and others have always felt like the staples of the modern resurgence of interest in superheroes, which now includes the most recent (and fantastic!) Young Justice.

Excited to read your guy’s thoughts!

2 Likes

Welcome, glad to have ya!

Regarding your question, I’m going with animation. Movies, TV, it’s all wonderful. Characters can be perfectly emulated from how they look in the comics, as can the styles of particular artists.

Plus, animation doesn’t have the budget or material/resource constraints live action productions can. The imagination is limitless in animation.

4 Likes

@Vroom Thanks for the welcome! I do think DC is at its best with animation, probably because the source material itself is animated. And while I personally do not love all the animated movies, I am a fan of the variety they offer while telling much more constrained stories than live-action franchise films could ever offer.

2 Likes

Im also gonna go with the animated universe.

Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batbeyond, Justice League, JL Unlimited, Teen Titans, Young Justice, JL vs Fatal Five, The Dark Knight Returns part 1+2, Flashpoint, JL: War, Gods and Monsters, Under the Red Hood, All-Star Superman, and so much more high quality stuff.

3 Likes

I mean, the animated medium seems like the obvious answer. I’ll give a special shout out to the Lego Batman Movie though, since I’m pretty sure it’s technically animated.

2 Likes

DCAU baby!

2 Likes

Also: welcome to the community @RorschachQuestion13! Happy to have you here :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @YoYoFroYo!

1 Like

Thanks @YoYoFroYo!

1 Like

Definitely the animated movies and series

1 Like

Nice to meet you RorshachQuestion13 and glad you are here. Hope you love it as much as we do. I’m here for the original series, DC Daily, and the comics. And also the poignant discussions from DC enthusiasts and Mods. So I guess all of it. Oh yeah, and check out the watch-a-longs. They are so much fun!!! Cheers!