Favorite Marvel comics?

Might be blasphemous to post this in a DC forum, but I know a lot of DC fans are also Marvel fans because, at the end of the day, we are all comic book fans. So what are some of your picks for best Marvel comics?

One of my all time favorite comics in general is Ultimate Spider-Man. This along with the incredible Justice League animated series is what really got me into actually reading comics. It takes the decades of history of the character and distills it in this ongoing series, with new twists on characters and old storylines. It’s just overall an epic run.

I also love Jonathan Hickman’s run on Avengers and New Avengers. The new Secrey Wars gets a lot of attention, but it’s just the last chapter of a very long, three year storyline that had the heroes making these really tough decisions.

1 Like

And the Wind cried Mary

I take it everyone here is strictly a DC fan? Okie dokie.

I loved the Amalgam Universe. Bring it back!

Anything Spider-Man. Amazing, Spectacular, Ultimate, Scarlet Spider. I’m just a huge Spider-Man mark.

Fantastic Four. Especially the OG Lee/Kirby run and Hickman’s run.

Claremonts X-Men. And even when it started going downhill after Claremont left the series I was still into it.

Daredevil. You’d be hard pressed to find a bad run. I’m not sure what it is about the character. Maybe because it’s such a grounded hero fighting street level stuff? Even the “bad” runs are pretty good.

1 Like

Just recently discovered how awesome comics are so I’ve only read the early Spiderman, which us pretty…amazing.

It’s not Marvel (or DC) but Black Magic by Greg Rucka is good too.

I’m just starting to really read any Marvel comics so I don’t really have one I could call my favorite. I’m open to suggestions though…

Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite. I’ve always been drawn to those comics all the way up to Ultimatum. I liked the Civil War story too. Still haven’t read Civil War 2.

Anything Daredevil

Claremont’s X-Men started my obsession with all things mutant related and for a long time I looked forward to reading the X books. I also like Spidey, Moon Knight, Daredevil, Cap, Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I started reading Claremont’s X-men sometime back, and read a few issues but it didn’t really hook me. I get the feeling it’s one of those that starts really getting good later though. I know the Dark Phoenix storyline is on the horizon and I know the huge legacy that run had on x-men and comics in general. I might give it a shot again soon, in between reading what I can find on DC Universe.

I also started reading Hickman’s Fantastic Four but haven’t gotten far. Though he’s become one of my favorite writers, so I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. He did a run on Ultimates sometime after Ultimatum that was very good.

Also @Teddy I would really suggest reading some Ultimate Marvel stuff if you’re new to Marvel comics. They are set in their own universe and act as a sort of reboot in a way of marvel continuity. They’ve also been a fairly big inspiration for the Marvel movies.

Ultimate Spider-Man is the best IMO.

There’s also The Ultimates, which is this universe’s Avengers. Volumes 1 and 2 are great. 3 is not so good, but Ultimate Comics: Ultimates is damn good (I know, the name is terrible)

Ultimate X-Men is really good too. And I liked Ultimate Fantastic Four for the most part, but it’s fairly different than you’d expect.

There are some fairly classic runs, many of which have already come up in this thread (like Claremont’s X-Men for instance), but the ultimate comics are just really accessible to get into if you don’t know much about the 70 year history of marvel.

Greg Rucka and Nathan Edmondson runs on The Punisher.

I met Matthew Rosenberg a while back when they were promoting his run on The Punisher. When I asked if he would be incorporating Rachel Chole character from those two runs he got really uncomfortable with that question. From what I took away from our conversation he sees Frank as more a villain then an anti hero.

When I asked what his favorite run of the character was and he said Garth Ennis Max run I knew how he was going to write Frank and that was a big nope from me.

@ThatTwoGuy: I was reading Claremont’s X-Men as it came out so that may have made a difference in my enjoyment of it. Its a bit dated now.

Also @ThatTwoGuy: Where would be the best place to start reading Ulimate Marvel for someone like me who hasn’t read it before.

Frank Miller’s run on Daredevil
Iron Man - Doomquest
Any Captain America done by Ed Brubaker

@JasonTodd: Ultimate Spider-Man came first, and that’s a pretty good place to start. Though really, you can just start at what interests you. Initially, they don’t crossover much. So if you really want to read X-Men, start at Ultimate X-Men #1. Want to check out their version of Avengers, start with issue 1 of Ultimates Volume 1

It does get a bit confusing later, though. There are some events here and there that are generally published as their own comics as opposed to having a bunch of crossover tie in issues. But they still figure into the storylines. For instance, Ultimate Six is basically a crossover between Ultimate Spidey and Ultimates, and it’s important to the spider man storyline.

And then Ultimatum happens, which is a really terrible crossover event that kills over a ton of characters. Though it’s not really bad for the death rate, it’s just a plain poorly written comic with a lot of out of character moments. However, it led to a complete status quo change in Ultimate Marvel and there are some interesting stories that came out of it. But that’s where it starts really getting confusing (like with comics titled Ultimate Comics: Ultimates).

Anyway, what I recommend though is starting with either Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, or The Ultimates and just going from there.

Also @Jackal, I’ve been really really wanting to read Miller’s Daredevil but haven’t gotten around to it. Brubaker’s Cap is amazing, though.

1 Like

Civil War was an amazing series of books. Loved it

1 Like

Favorite Marvel comics? Okay, I’ll bite. First an foremost Lee and
Ditko’s Amazing Spider-Man run(pure fun), Lee and Kirby’s first100 issues of Fantastic Four(basically the forge for the entire Marvel universe), the first 100 issues of the Avengers(where anything could happen), Miller, O’Neill and Mazzuchelli’s Daredevil, John Byrne’s Fantastic Four issues and Claremont and Byrne’s X-Men.

1 Like

Superior Spider-Man has been really fun to read. I also liked reading The Ultimates, the artwork was great!

1 Like