Favorite Live-Action Gotham City

Tim Burton’s Gotham is a great mix of his gothic visuals with noir vibes that fits the comics well and so it’s still my favorite. I have a big soft spot and guilty pleasure for Joe Schumacher’s though

The narrows in Batman Begins is cool but the rest of the trilogy and Gotham tv show are just regular cities. Not sure about DCEU, I think I need to see more and will be able to judge fairly in The Batman.

Titans had a cool shot of the city at night but there hasn’t been much else shown

2 Likes

A toss up between Anton Furst’s Gotham City and that of Batman Forever. Same city (continuity wise) we’re just seeing more of it. I like alot of the exaggerated features in Barbara Ling’s Gotham (she’s Schumacher’s Production Designer for those who don’t know).

I really enjoyed the Gotham of Batman Returns when I was a kid. I felt it had an ethereal quality to it.

1 Like

Anton Furst won awards for his Batman work. Did Barbara Ling too?

She’s underrated!

1 Like

I’m not sure. Furst definitely earned that award.

1 Like

Nolan-verse!

Oh so you like Chicago, New York and wherever else they filmed

1 Like

Burton definitely captured the classic take on Gotham. I don’t have any clue what Schumacher was going for with his version. But I think the Gotham TV series captures Gotham City way better than the Nolan films, which is basically set in Chicago.

Tim Burton’s

1 Like

Gotta agree, Tim Burton nailed it.

Tim Burton & Gotham the tv show. Also love the Arkham Asylum in Gotham.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good Arkham. I didn’t like the one in Batman Begins.

Joe Schumacher had the best Arkham!

1 Like

TX85

I’m with u on Batman Begins statement.

1 Like

The Schumacher Arkham was great.

2 Likes

Gotham TV is my fave live action because it is a live action version of Batman TAS (which is my other fave). CGI enhanced real NYC with cool details like cool buildings, helicopters, zeppelins, water towers, search lights, etc. And the NYC locations where always well thought out. From cool funky or dirty skeevy or rich and stately (favorite Wayne Manor). Great interiors with design mix of different decades (old phones, TVs, artwork, Art Deco, 60’s, 70’s design). Season one looked like a Starsky and Hutch reboot (in the best possible way) and it got better and better. THE Best coolest looking show on TV, so sorry it’s coming to a close.
The 90’s films looked gothic and cool but sometimes too fake. Bale’s looked too real and lackluster.

2 Likes

It’s not from a Batman movie, but some of the exterior night shots of New York City in The Shadow could be good stand-ins for Gotham in a general sense. Specifically the scene where rain is falling in an exterior shot of buildings which then cuts to The Shadow as he walks towards the Mongol Warriors standing guard outside the Hotel Monolith.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Gotham in the 1989 Batman. I always loved Anton Furst’s depiction of Gotham. And it was so influential, that it in fact changed the way Gotham was depicted in the comics. In the Destroyer story arc, that debuted in Batman #474, the cover was a beautiful illustration of Furst’s Gotham in B&W with Breyfogle’s Batman in striking color on top.

1 Like