Favorite Joker story

Desade- acolyte It was Justice League #50 after the Darkseid wars that Batman learned there were 3 Jokers. So basically you were right. It’s in Darkseid war when Batman is sitting in the mobius chair that he asks the question. Then in JL #50 Hal Jordan asks him what he asked.

@djd
I recall something about that thread, so I’m guessing the three jokers are from across the multiverse and of course Darkseid being able to span multiverses was aware of this?

1 Like

But that begs the question: Why are there not fifty-two Jokers? Or almost fifty-two, at least. Obviously his counterparts on some worlds are dead or have different names.

Who knows, these may be the only three universes left where he wasn’t executed rather than locked up in Arkham???

The Man Who Laughs was near perfect. Detective Comics 826 “Slayride” was a fantastic one-off story. On the animated side; everything Mark Hamill did.

1 Like

@Batjamags I’ll be sure too check it out, thanks.

De-Sade acolyte & Batmajags
Just got back here. Very interesting point between u 2. I just knew where he got the info about the various Jokers issue- wise. Never thought that thoroughly about it, but now I’m intrigued. Hopefully, will find out just how many Jokers exist & more importantly, why?

Joker’s return in Batman 450-451! Joker hasn’t been seen since his helicopter crashed in the end of A Death in the Family. Now, a judge is murdered with Joker’s patented Rictus Grin…However, The Messages Joker leaves on his victims are not consistent with his usual style of humor. Batman theorizes that there may be a copycat. Meanwhile, the Joker is attempting to pul himself back up after recovering from his injuries and is none too pleased to find he has to deal with an imposter in addition to his recuperation.

1 Like

Legends of the Dark Knight #50 and White Knight

1 Like

In addition to stories listed here, I have a suggestion I haven’t seen much mention of. I loved it when I first read it but last night re-read the Batman annual (#3) that came out during Endgame and I think it’s brilliant. It’s a similar idea to Joker’s Favor from BTAS, but different enough to stand on its own. I like the focused psychotic aspect of Joker and would recommend this book to anyone trying to learn about the character. I think it’s one of the scariest Joker stories I’ve ever read.
I don’t know about “best” but the JLI annual with Joker is fun. Mad Love is also a good look into his character. No Man’s Land also reflects scary Joker.
I like zany Joker but scary-zany is my favorite.

1 Like

Oh, also, Soft Targets from Gotham Central. Somehow I forgot about that in my first post.

1 Like

O’Neil and Adams at their peak with Batman #251. The “homicidal clown” returns and we stopped “laughing” at the Joker.

Batman #663: The Clown at Midnight
Grant Morrison’s prose story will always be my favorite. The list of things that make the Joker laugh was genius.

Joker: Devils Advocate
Very underrated Joker story from Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan. Joker gets sentenced to the electric chair. Only thing is- it’s for a crime that Batman isn’t convinced he committed.

Emperor Joker
Joker tricks Mr. Mxyzptlk into giving him his power. Nuff said.

Detective Comics # 826 : Sleigh Ride
Joker kidnaps Tim Drake and forces him to watch from the passenger seat as he goes on a Christmas rampage.

Justice League 13
The Joker vs. the Legion of Doom.

2 Likes

I’ve never liked a Joker solo story. I can only think of a few. I don’t think Killing Joke or Arkham are solo stories. Didn’t like Azzarello’s Joker at all.

Maybe I don’t like Joker? :grimacing: