Favorite Era of Comics

Hello all, this is my first ever original post! I am curious as to what your favorite era of DC comics is. I am wondering if it corresponds to what age each of us was when we were reading. For example, my favorite era would be the 80s including Crisis and the reboots done after. I graduated high school in 1984, so these were mostly published during my teen years.

5 Likes

Early Golden Age (1938-1944). Everything was exciting and experimental back then.

5 Likes

Post-Zero Hour to the New 52 reboot (1994-2011)

7 Likes

That was right after I stopped buying comics. I got married in 1993 and had to spend my money on other things.

3 Likes

I like the Bronze Age. It combines the fun, optimism, and innocence of the Silver Age with the more complex and emotionally grounded character-based writing of the Modern Age, with (almost) none of the grim 'n gritty darkness that dominated the '90s.

Anything in particular that you recommend from that era?

7 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that era. I feel 70s and 80s DC is when comics became what we think of when we think of comics now. All changes since tend to be related to how the content is delivered rather than the content itself.

6 Likes

Silver? Bronze? Silver? Bronze? I canā€™t do it. I canā€™t pick one ā€œageā€ over the other. The amount of great comics in both ā€œagesā€ is so vast, why put one before another? How about just sitting back and enjoying them both for the incredible amount of entertainment they each offered.

5 Likes

Doesnā€™t have a name, but from around 1995-2005. Yeah, you have Marvel doingā€¦ well, whatever they were doing, but you have that wonderful post-Zero Hour DCU, and a complete indie comic revitalization. Not to mention the rise and fall of Vertigo.

9 Likes

Hmmmm, now? Iā€™m still considered relatively new to comics (been reading almost 2 years now), so I donā€™t have as much of a reference for older comics. I have a hard time getting through the on the nose writing of old stuff. I tend to like books written in the past 25 years or so more just because I feel that the writing style has evolved so much. It doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t like stuff from before that, I just am more wary going into it that the writing style will be wonky.

3 Likes

@Batwing52: That ten year period you mentioned was a great run for the DCU. Thatā€™s the era of Wally, Dick, Kyle, Kon-el, Tim, and Connor. It was the ā€œlegacyā€ period of DC full of rich stories and characters that pushed the universe forward without deconstructing the past. It should be required reading for Bendis and his band of bozos.

5 Likes

Iā€™d be hard-pressed to choose just one. I enjoy each era for different reasons. They all bring different things to the forefront. Iā€™ve probably read more from the Bronze Age though, so letā€™s go with that. Iā€™m thinking specifically of Oā€™Neal/Adams Batman and am currently reading Green Lantern/Green Arrow from the same creative team.

5 Likes

We really need to come up with a name for that period between the 90s and the early 2000s. Itā€™s been the ā€œModern Ageā€ for like, forty years now (or whenever it was decided the Bronze Age ended)

5 Likes

I liked very much the early Rebirth but now there are maybe four titles currently produced with that degree of quality.

I bought a lot of Bronze Age comics when I came back to comics in 1973. They still stand the test of time.

They were serious but not grim
They had actual plots
The characterizations were not carboard like in the Silver Age.
Many stories were one of two issues
You didnā€™t have to know the back history of the characters
Art was clear and pleasing to look at.

6 Likes

We could just call it ā€œThe Good One.ā€ Itā€™s a very accurate name.

3 Likes

See, itā€™s interesting that you bring up Bendis. Iā€™ve actually found that his corner of the DCU feels most like those old late-ā€˜90s, early-ā€˜00s comics that I love. At least, thatā€™s my experience, but I understand that a lot of people arenā€™t fans of his DC stuff.

5 Likes

The era between Zero Hour and New 52

8 Likes

@Batwing52: Maybe Iā€™m being overly sensitive with Bendis since he came to DC, but my main problem is his utter lack of understanding for the Kent family dynamic. At the onset of Rebirth Jurgens and Tomasi clearly delineated a wonderful family tapestry for the Kentā€™s that made Lois, Clark, and young Jon, shine with hope and spirit. Now their family still resembles a train wreck (Who lets their ten-year-old take an intergalactic trip with Franken-grandfather, and then turns around and allows the aged-up kidā€“ARRGH!-- to go off to live with strangers a thousand years in the future?). Itā€™s poor parenting, poor storytelling, and a complete lack of understanding verisimilitude. I think Richard Donner would have a big problem with this current iteration of Lois and Clark.

3 Likes

Sorry for the above rant that was completely off-target, but Iā€™m very protective of the Kent family. That said, Jon should be a very important legacy character, but he just hasnā€™t had time to grow into the role. In the '60ā€™s this current Superman story line would have been offered as an ā€œimaginary storyā€, and in the '90ā€™s it would have been presented as an ā€œelseworldsā€ tale.

3 Likes

Regarding Golden Age recommendations, I made a post with Golden Age suggestions earlier this week. Cannot post the link, but itā€™s Golden Age Highlights. I also made a public list of those issues on my account.

3 Likes

My favorite era of comics was the Bronze Age. Brave and the Bold, Batman, and Green Lantern/Green Arrow were all books I keep coming back to read.

5 Likes