Favorite Elseworlds Series!

What’s your favorite DC Comics Elseworlds series?
Anything outside of main DC continuity is perfectly ok as well even if not explicitly labeled elseworlds!!!
My favorite Elseworlds series is Kingdom Come!!!

2 Likes

Nightwing “New Order” ! I absolutely love this book!

2 Likes

I never read it, how is it?

My favorite Elseworlds is All-Star Superman, but others that I really like are:

-DC: The New Frontier
-Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade
-Convergence: Shazam!
-Superman and Batman: World’s Funnest
-Supergirl and Batgirl: Elseworlds’ Finest
-Copra (even though it’s an indie comic I consider it a Suicide Squad Elseworlds with Marvel analogues)
-Kingdom Come
-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
-JSA: The Golden Age
-Superman: Red Son
-JLA: The Nail/Another Nail

1 Like

Superman: Red Son, JLA: The Nail/Another Nail, Kingdom Come.

Those off the top of my head

1 Like

The JLA Nail duology.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this falls under the header of an Elseworlds because it wasn’t branded as such, but I would definitely give a tip of the hat to Superman:Secret Identity. It came out around the time of Red Son, and while Red Son got most of the attention, Secret Identity resonated with me more. It’s about a kid in our world named Clark Kent and the grief he gets every year around his birthday as his family and friends get him Superman-related gifts, when really he just wants to be a writer. One day he wakes up with super powers and you spend the next four issues going through the stages of his life and what it means to have powers in the real world and the consequences that come with it. It’s a wonderful story by Kurt Busiek with great art by Stuart Immonen. I highly recommend it.

4 Likes

Does Jeff Smith’s “Monster Society of Evil” count? Because it’s definitely outside regular continuity…

3 Likes

It absolutely does

2 Likes

@Vroom

Absolutely agree on the Nail books. Vroom, I think we’re related. We seem to agree on things 95% of the time.

2 Likes

Kingdom Come. #CLASSIC The characters and costume designs have had the greatest impact on the main DC Universe.

2 Likes

Yeah, this question just isn’t fair to the other series.

Kingdom Come is my favorite comic book of ALL TIME. Of course it’s going to win ‘Best Elseworld’ as well.

@Super-Squirrel
HOT TAKE: Kingdom Come is great, New Frontier is better.

1 Like

@Batwing52 Both a great!!! rest in peace Darwyn Cooke

Does All-Star Squadron count? If so I pick that one.

@DanTheManOne1 it absolutely counts!

I really enjoyed Tangent from way back when.

1 Like

JLA: Destiny was also pretty good.

1 Like

I don’t know if they counts as an elseworld series, but identity crisis I liked. Really made me appreciate just how bleeped up Dr Light is.

But, all time fave elseworld story is Gotham by Gaslight. It shows the true versatility of Batman (Batman Ninja did this as well, but to a slightly lesser degree) it doesn’t matter where or when, Batman is (arguably) the most mailable character in DC Comics and (arguably) in all of comics.

2 Likes

@Batwing - New Frontier is indeed a classic. I could certainly see an argument for it as ‘best’ Elseworlds, as I can several of the other above suggestions.

But ‘Favorite’ is something completely different. It’s subjective, depending on personal tastes, values, and where you were in life when you first read it. I don’t believe that anything will ever beat Kingdom Come in my book.

3 Likes