Favorite DC Writer

So curious to know who some of your guys favorite DC writers are and by that I mean anyone who has written for the company for a substantial period of time. That being said if someone is brand new or wasn’t at the company long and made that strong of an impression to you please do list them. Thank you for contributing and happy reading

PS My favorite is a tie between two. The legendary Gardner Fox himself whose work not only stands the test of time but also literally built much of the universe we all love. Finally Grant Morrison. I can’t think of a writer more worthy of being mentioned and his incredible work has either thrilled or frustrated us for years and hopefully for many more to come.

1 Like

All time: Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman.

Currently: James Tynion IV, Greg Rucka, Matt Fraction, Robert Venditti, Gene Luen Yang, Kurt Busiek.

5 Likes

Thank you so much @HubCityQuestion for contributing I love your picks I think Scott Snyder has my pick for current favorite that or Venditti

2 Likes

How is Tynions run on batman so far

Pretty great! Love how he keeps challenging himself to give Batman new gadgets in each issue.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to check it out!

Have you read any of Vendittis Hawkman

Geoff Johns as of right now, mainly for his work on green lantern. But there are so many good writers to pick from!

2 Likes

Thank you so much @dankplanck for contributing. The always great Geoff Johns. I love your pick I grew up on his run with lantern and hawkman in the early 2000s and can’t wait for Three Jokers

Its so hard to choose. I would split it and say Scott Snyder for Batman, and Grant Morrison for Superman.

2 Likes

I have! It’s actually great, and I highly recommend it—even if you have no idea what Hawkman’s deal is.

1 Like

Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Peter David, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Scott Snyder, etc, etc

3 Likes

Oh no I’m a hawkman mega fan and I’m current on vendittis run after issue 22 this last week I can’t wait until 23

1 Like

Thank you so much @TheDarkKnieves for contributing and I absolutely love your pics and would you be referring to all star superman for grant

1 Like

Thank you @ralphsix for contributing all immensely talented creators with incredible work what’s your favorite mark waid story

Waid’s entire Flash run was what defined Wally West for me, and is the reason I’ll always consider Wally “my” Flash.

3 Likes

Wow! This is another great topic. And boy this is not an easy one for me to answer. There have been so many great writers who have worked in the DCU over the decades, but I’ll try to pick a “few”.
All-time: Len Wein, Denny O’Neil, Gardner Fox, John Broome, Dan Jurgens, John Byrne, Marv Wolfam, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Mark Waid, Cary Bates, Elliot S! Maggin, Steve Skeates, Jim Shooter, Edmond Hamilton, Otto Binder, Robert Kanigher and Leo Dorfman.
Currently: Geoff Johns, Peter Tomasi, Robert Venditti, James Tynion IV, Joshua Williamson–and still–Dan Jurgens.
It’s impossible to pick just one from any era. And isn’t that a great testament to the talent that has graced the pages of DC comics for many decades?

2 Likes

Absolutely. He wrote Clark and Superman so perfectly in All Star. When I think of the character, that is exactly what I see. He also wrote what might be my favorite Lex Luthor portrayal in comics so far.

1 Like

Thank you for contributing @baseballmaniac01.45870 and it truly is your right the best creatives in the world in my opinion and all of your pics are amazing have to ask what’s your favorite dc title to read

1 Like

Neil Gaiman, without a doubt. Not only is his writing superb and surreal, he is an all-around nice person. Other favorites include Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Brian K. Vaughan, Dennis O’Neil, Joe Kelly, the list goes on.
-M

1 Like