Favorite DC Book of All Time

Flash: Terminal Velocity

3 Likes

A close tie between Kingdom Come and Flash: The Return of Barry Allen. It cemented my love for Wally West by issue #79!

1 Like

Hush is my nostalgic choice.

As an adult, my favorites are Waid’s Flash run, Gleason’s Superman, and really anything by Waid, come to think about it

4 Likes

I think it might be a toss up between Dark Nights: Metal, Batman: Black Mirror, and Teen Titans: Judas Contract. They manage to tick all the boxes for concept, writing, and art for me. There are other stories/arcs that I enjoy but normally there is just something keeping it from heading to the top.

2 Likes

One of the most entertaining and exciting continuous series for me was Gotham Central by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka and illustrated by Michael Lark, that just had a fantastic Noir street-level realistic feel to it even though it did feature fantastical villains like Mr. Freeze.

3 Likes

Crisis on Infinite Earths, especially issue #7. That issue is the single greatest comic ever written. The scope is epic, the stakes are high, and the George Perez/Jerry Ordway art is THE best I’ve ever seen in any comic book.

3 Likes

All star Superman or death in a family

2 Likes

Both by Mike Grell:
The Warlord
Green Arrow (both the Long Bow Hunters and the ongoing after it)

3 Likes

2 of my favorites

1 Like

Top 5:
All Star Superman
Batman: The Black Mirror
Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
Superman: Peace on Earth/Batman: War On Crime
Superman Rebirth by Tomasi and Gleason

1 Like

The Dark Knight Returns

1 Like

My choice changes non-stop. But here are a few.

Dark Knight Returns
Knightfall
Scarecrow: Year One (by Bruce Jones)
Joker’s Asylum II: Mad Hatter
Batman #471
Batman Scarface: a Psychodrama
And many, MANY more…

1 Like

Batman: Year One is still my favorite DC “book” of all-time. But if I have to pick one single issue of one DC Comic book–it would be Superman Annual #11, 1985,“For The Man Who Has Everything”.

3 Likes

I’m a lifer and have read most all DC since I started as a kid in the 70s. So it will probably surprise some here to hear that I’ve loved nearly everything Tom King has written for DC most of all. If I have to choose an absolute favorite it’s his much-maligned Batman run. I wish it could have gone on forever and the way it was cut short was the most disappointing DC experience I’ve had in my nearly 50 years as a DC-only super fan. So…

1. King’s Batman
  2. King’s Mister Miracle
  3. Meltzer’s JLA (so underrated)
  4. Identity Crisis
  5. Gaiman’s What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader
  6. Morrison’s Multiversity

It would be easy to list another couple hundred and a lot of them would be written by Morrison, Moore, Gaiman, Waid, Miller, etc.

But Other History of the DCU by John Ridley, on stands now, is destined for a very high spot on my list as are the three terrific 12-issue series’s King is in the middle of now. His Batman/Catwoman, Strange Adventures, and Rorschach are shaping up to be more all-time greats.

3 Likes

All Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Death & Return of Superman.

3 Likes

Identity Crisis will always be my fave, close second is Killing Joke.

1 Like

DKR, The Authority, Preacher, Fables, better stop there getting a headache

2 Likes

William Moulton Marston’s Golden Age Wonder Woman is my favorite, although I liked the remaining 75+ years after that as well.

Mike Grell’s Green Arrow.

Dark Knight Returns and its sequels.

Watchmen.

No way I can list just one. :smile:

1 Like

Shazam by Geoff Johns

Martian Manhunter by John Ostrander

Secret six by Gail Simone

Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld by Dan Mishkin

Justice league international by Keith Griffin and J.M Dematteis

Mister Miracle by Tom King

Shade the changing Girl and Woman by Cecil Castellucci

Batgirl, Vol 1: Silent Running by Chuck Dixon, Kelley Puckett, and Scott Peterson

3 Likes

batman and tmnt part 3

2 Likes