Favorite artists and/or writers?

@moro I feel the same way about current artists and writers. I’ve heard of them, but I can’t see the art in my mind. :nerd_face: Just keep reading and you’ll get there. Plus it was easier to buy tons of comics back in the 1970s. That’s why I love DCU.

1 Like

Thanks @TravisMorgan. I have the opposite issue. Much more familiar with modern writers. I read, but due to time constraints I stick to the the DC Trinity and the Justice League, with a few others sprinkled here & there :slightly_smiling_face:.

Recently read New Gods by Kirby. Fun read and very cool art. Should’ve probably mentioned him in my list up there.

1 Like

@moro Yeah, you just can’t read everything. I focus on my favorites and look for what other projects they have done. I loved Ed Brubaker’s Captain America, but I wasn’t crazy about his Batman stuff that I have read, I need to check out Gotham Central. I have way more comics than I have time! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hard agree on the Tom King thing, although Mister Miracle wasn’t technically New 52, and I firmly believe that’s his best work.

1 Like

Alan Moore’s done some good non-‘80s comics. His WildC.A.T.S is like, SHOCKINGLY great. Seriously. Read that, Top 10, Tom Strong, and Supreme.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that, I’m just going off of the stuff of his I have read (Watchmen, Killing Joke, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, etc.)

1 Like

@TravisMorgan Holy Molly, I left out John Romita Sr. and Jim Starlin! Keep me on my toes guys.

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870 I Know, I was reading your list and I kept going back, does he have this guy, what about that guy? And what about the girls?

Ramona Fradon
Marie Severin (and her brother Big John)

There are so many great artists, it’s tough to mention them all!

2 Likes

I loved Ramona Fradon’s Aquaman when I was a kid. Her Aquaman was more “cartoony” than Nick Cardy’s, but it was no less enjoyable. And the Severins–Marie and John–did yeoman work on The Hulk and Sgt. Fury. You are so right, it is tough to mention them all, but that makes the period in which they worked all the more rich and glorious.

2 Likes

I’m late to the party and all the good dance partners are taken.

I’m gonna throw out a little love for the ladies and say Gail Simone is great. Also a little love for the lovely (and a hometown celebrity for me) Hope Larson.

Gerard Way is often excellent.

I always loved artists that could draw a busy scene. I’d say my two absolute faves are George Perez and José Luis García-López.

5 Likes

I firmly agree…if that helps.

2 Likes

Another note: It’s always interesting and kind of cool when you see a writer or artist who’s really good but didn’t actually work on all that much. On the writer end, Mindy Newell didn’t do much more than a few Wonder Woman issues, but they’re really solid issues.

On the artist end, Steve Erwin did the art on most of the original '88 Checkmate series and apparently did some issues of Deathstroke, and nothing else, but that Checkmate book looks really nice. Casey Jones is an artist who worked on Birds of Prey during the brief stretch between the Dixon and Simone runs who had a really cool, expressive style.

1 Like

As long as we are talking about the great artists who have wowed us for decades in this medium, I would like to call attention the one specific art team and their incredible work on the original Challengers of the Unknown (issues 4-8): Jack Kirby and Wally Wood. It is quite possible these books might be the epitome of all Silver Age art. Stunning pencils and beautiful line work, grand and powerful page design, and wonderful lighting that make for the most beautiful comic books I have ever seen. Don’t believe me? Check out the splash page for chapter two of issue #4. It could be a movie poster. Kirby and Wood–what an incredible combination!

3 Likes

phinox1981 on dcu is really good, and he/she seems to coincidentally re-draw my favorite villains!

1 Like

Could never narrow it down to just a few. But some of my favorite writers are…

Keith Giffen, Roy Thomas, John Byrne, Jeff Loeb, Gail Simone, and Jimmy Palmiotti.

As for artist, some of my favorites are a bit more old school… but some are…

Jerry Ordway, Adam Hughes, Geroge Perez, Dan Jurgens, Curt Swan and Neil Adams. Also while not old school I also love Amanda Conner’s artwork.

2 Likes

You guys know so much, and yet Im here, only knowing the more popular ones like Snyder or Moore

2 Likes

@TheSandmanofGotham Everyone needs to start somewhere. Snyder and Moore are two great writers. I know all my favorites from the Bronze Age (1970-85) but I have major blind spots in the modern age. I listen to comics podcasts and use those recommendations to check out newer artists and writers. If you like a character or creator just create a thread and ask for recommendations. It’s overwhelming with 22,000+ comics to choose from. Enjoy!:wink:

2 Likes

My favorites are Tom King and Scott Snyder (I know bold statement right?)

4 Likes

I don’t always like Gail Simones work, but as the person who brought back the Batgirl and was respectful of Barbara’s character, I will always be one of her fans.

1 Like

I like Peter J. Tomasi as a writer. My favorite artists would be, Jorge Jimenez, Todd Nauck and Jim Lee.

3 Likes