Favorite artists and/or writers?

As someone who likes to draw, I can’t get enough of a good artist. Jim Lee, Carmine Di Giandomenico, and Minkyu Jung are a few of my favorites. With the amount of artists and writers out there, I thought it would be interesting to see other opinions.

10 Likes

Favorite writer is Scott Snyder largly because of his work on Batman and Mikel Janin because he draws them in a great idealistic form.

4 Likes

My favorite artist and writer have to be Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb. The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are what got me into reading comics.

4 Likes

Didn’t Jay Garrick re-die in The Button?
Is Doomsday Clock still an Ongoing Event?

2 Likes

The best writer is Alan Moore, my favorite is Neil Gaiman.

2 Likes

I dont remember if he died in the button. I was just using the picture as an example of some good art.

1 Like

At the end of The Button, he escaped the speed force for just a few seconds, only to be sucked right back in

The series ended in December w/ issue #12. Any direct, future impact on the DCU is still forthcoming

3 Likes

Favorite artists are Lee, Mahnke (I think that’s how it’s spelled), and Jimenez.
Favorite writer is Tomasi.

2 Likes

Oh God, another one that will tax my ability to be brief. But let’s give it a go:
Favorite writers;
Stan Lee
Len Wein
Denny O’Neil
Roy Thomas
Cary Bates
Dan Jurgens
John Byrne
Marv Wolfman
Paul Levitz
Jack Kirby
George Perez
Frank Miller
Gardner Fox
John Broome
Elliot S! Maggin
Jim Shooter
Archie Goodwin
Steve Englehart
Steve Gerber
Geoff Johns
Favorite Artists:
Jack Kirby
Curt Swan
Steve Ditko
Ross Andru and Mike Esposito
Carmine Infantino
Joe Kubert
Jim Aparo
John Buscema
Wally Wood
Dan Jurgens
George Perez
John Byrne
Nick Cardy
David Mazzucchelli
Sal Buscema
Frank Miller
Gil Kane
Murphy Anderson
Jerry Ordway
Scott Kollins
Russ Heath
And this could probably go on somewhat longer but I’ll stop here. Suffice it to say these are the creators that I have enjoyed greatly over the years.

5 Likes

Favorite artist: Ivan Reis is at the top of my list followed in no particular order by Alex Ross, Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, Gary Frank, Lee Bermejo, Tony Daniel, Jason Fabok. Nick Derington and David Marquez starting to grow on me. Others I’m sure I’m forgetting.

Not sure if I have a single writer I’d call my favorite. Brian Bendis, Scott Snyder, Brian Azzarello, Geoff Johns come to mind right away. Also others I’m sure I’m missing.

4 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870 I agree with all your choices, but would add:

Mike Grell
Howard Chaykin
Dave Sim
Neal Adams
Jose Garcia-Lopez
Jim Aparo
Don Newton
Michael Golden
Marshall Rogers
M W Kaluta
P Craig Russell
Bernie Wrightson
Jim Starlin
John Romita
Gil Kane
JR JR
Bob Layton
Rich Buckler
Chris Claremont
David Michelinie
Don McGregor
Ed Brubaker
Jonathan Hickman
Matt Fraction
Paul Dini
Bruce Timm

Time for me to stop. Together I think we covered the entire Silver and Bronze Ages.

2 Likes

My favorite DC artist by far is George Perez. Shame he retired, but if anyone deserved to, it was that guy. But some others that I like (in no particular order): David Mazzuchelli, John Byrne (Post-Crisis Trinity origins are pretty), Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, Jim Aparo, Graham Nolan, Gil Kane, Nicola Scott, Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke, and Tim Sale.

A few top choices for writers (also in no particular order): Paul Dini, Chuck Dixon, Denny O’Neil, Gail Simone, Mark Waid, Cary Bates, Marv Wolfman (he’s very hit-and-miss, but I’ve got to count him for COIE if nothing else), Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, John Ostrander, Kim Yale, Geoff Johns, Jeph Loeb, and I would be remiss not to mention Bill Finger.

And of course of my artist choices, Perez, Byrne, Kirby, and Cooke are also great writers in their own right.

3 Likes

Top 5 writers:

• Geoff Johns
  • Scott Snyder
  • Tom Taylor
  • Jeph Loeb
  • Tie between Frank Miller and Alan Moore (for their work in the '80s)

Top 5 artists:

• Jim Lee
  • Ivan Reis
  • Jason Fabok
  • Greg Capullo
  • Andy Kubert
1 Like

Darwyn Cooke is my all-time favorite artist. I love his style, and his storytelling. His level of craft is unparalleled. As for other artists? I’m always discovering new ones, but here’s a list of one or two (read: twenty) that I’ll look for:

-David Aja
-Frank Quitely
-Cameron Stewart
-Marcos Martin
-John Romita Sr.
-John Romita Jr.
-Dustin Nguyen
-Michael Lark
-J.H. Williams III
-Jock
-Francesco Francavilla
-Greg Smallwood
-Bruce Timm
-Edwardo Risso
-Sean Murphy
-Steve Pugh
-Evan “Doc” Shaner
-Phil Hester
-Paul Pope
-Tim Sale
-Jack “The King” Kirby
-Andrea Sorrentino
-Alan Davis
-Mike Mignola
-David Mazzucchelli
-Stuart Immonen
-Ben Templesmith
-Rags Morales
-Greg Capullo
-Gabriel Ba
-Terry Moore
-Declan Shalvey
-Joelle Jones
-Nick Derington
-Mitch Gerads
-Kevin Maguire
-Alex Maleev
-Steve Epting
-Ron Garney
-Ryan Ottley
-George Perez
-Jim Cheung
-Jerome Opena
-Jamie McKelvie
-Steve Lieber
-Walt Simonson

I don’t really have favorite writers. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Brian Michael Bendis, but he’s far from the best writer. I care more about the finished product than the people who made it. I mean, Paul Jenkins is a bad writer, but that ‘90s Inhumans series is an all-time favorite of mine.

3 Likes

Writers:

Grant Morrison
Neil Gaiman
Alan Moore
Brian K Vaughn
Jonathan Hickman
Ed Brubaker

Artists:
Frank Quitely
John Romita jr
David Aja
Lee Bermejo
Francesco Francavilla
Simone Bianchi
Eduardo Risso
Norm Breyfogle
Jim Aparo
Gil Kane
Joe Kubert

Writer/Artist:
Mike Allred
Mike Mignola
Jeff Lemire
Jeff Smith
Stan Sakai
Frank Miller

And above everyone…KIRBY

2 Likes

Right now, Phil Briones is my choice artist and for writer, I go with Grant Morrison overall.

3 Likes

Thanks @TravisMorgan: How could I forget Michael Golden, Don Newton,
and Jim Aparo (who I just edited in) Garcia-Lopez and Bernie Wrigthson? It just goes to show how many great artists populated the Silver and Bronze Ages of comics.

1 Like

My favorite writers by far are

1. Tom Taylor
  2. Peter Tomasi
  3. Patrick Gleason
  4. Tom King (STRICTLY NEW 52 though)
  5. james Tynion
  6. Scott Snyder
  7. Gail simones bird of prey
  8. Chuck Dixon
  9. peter David
  10. geoff Johns (HES a good comic book writer not a good film maker
  11. Scott Lobdell (specifically Rhato)
    Honorable mention: Frank Miller (BEFORE HE WENT CRAZY
    NOTE The first 3 are my top three then the rest are in no paticular order. Tom king is not my 4 fave writer
1 Like

Man… everyone is familiar with so many artists and writers. I feel like a noob :joy:

3 Likes

My favorite writers? Tough. Geoff Johns, Marv Wolfman, James Tynion IV, and I don’t know who else! Scott Snyder, he’s up there with his arbitrary range about old buildings.