Favorite Artist

Who is your favorite comic book artist?
And if you don’t like the art in a book does that make you not want to read it?

Mine
Pencils/inks - Jason Fabok
Colors- Brad Anderson

And yes. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into making a book but sometimes I just really don’t like the style

1 Like

Greg Capullo has been my favorite artist ever since his run on Spawn in the 90’s. I remember going back to the comic shop to by second copies of some issues so I could take it apart and hang it on my wall next to my bed.

1 Like

To answer your question, for some reason I really don’t like John Romita Jr’s art style. I’ll read books he’s on but I’m not seeking out his work.

2 Likes

Alex Ross forever

1 Like

I frankly probably follow writers more than artists (thus I’m here), but certain artists will cause me to buy a book like Jae Lee, P Craig Russell , Barry Windsor Smith, Mike Deodato, David Finch.

Love Greg Cappullo, especially when he’s doing Batman, Jim Lee of course, Jock, George Perez… there are others of course but these are some of the ones that jump out for me. And yes, there have been comics I really wanted to read but the art put me off so much I couldn’t finish them.

1 Like

Yes, I won’t read a book if I don’t like the artwork. Comics are, first and foremost, a visual medium. Favorite artist? That’s another tough one. But I’m going with the much underappreciated Curt Swan. This man drew Superman for forty years! His clean, realistic renderings made me a Superman fan for life. I believe he is the yardstick by which all Superman artists should be measured.

2 Likes

Yeah as a kid I didn’t really think about it but now as I see the older stuff I do I definitely see the power of a Curt Swan. A similar prolific artist over a Marvel was Sal Buscema, not exactly the most beautiful artwork but I really like his early Defenders and Rom.

Alex Ross

Ed McGuiness, EVS, Mike S. Miller, Alex Ross, Michael Turner. Honestly theres many, many more. I’ll tell you my favorite underrated DC artist is the late great Mr. Dick Dillin. His Bronze Age work was fantastic.

1 Like

Doug TenNaple
Adam Hughes
Dustin Nguyen
Cliff Chiang
Mike Mignola
Jesus Saiz

2 Likes

Now that we can post images here’s a little Jae Lee

4 Likes

Brett Booth

1 Like

John Byrne
Gary Frank
Jim Lee
George Perez

1 Like

I can’t name just one favorite, so I’ll list some of them.

John Byrne
Curt Swan
Dick Giordano
Neal Adams
George Perez
Jerry Ordway
Norm Breyfogle
Jim Aparo
Alex Ross
Ivan Reis
Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez
Jim Lee
Gary Frank
Phil Jimenez
Jason Fabok
Evan “Doc” Shaner

1 Like

Ivan Reis and kenneth rocafort

1 Like

A few favs: Jim Lee, Jim Aparo, John Byrne, David Finch, Michael Turner.

Kenneth Rocafort (Sideways)

Phil Jimenez and Tony Daniel. Clean, sleek work that oozes style.

Breyfogel