Favorite artist/character combo?

I know art is subjective but I’m wondering if people have a favorite artist for a certain character. For example, I love Norm Breyfogle’s interpretation of Batman but wouldn’t think his style works for all characters. For my particular argument, I am ruling out certain artists whose work is spans characters and I like it all. George Perez, Alex Ross, and Darwyn Cooke all stand out because I think their styles work for almost anything. Same with Gary Frank, Alan Davis John Byrne and Neal Adams. I think Jim Lee and Jason Fabok are very talented but not distinctive for a particular character. I will also flip flop for up to 2 choices.
So,
Batman - Norm Breyfogle. Marshall Rogers. (Many others since this is my toughest category. I love when Batman has an absurdly large cape). Bruce Timm, ok that’s 3.
Superman - Dan Jurgens
Wonder Woman - Cliff Chiang (because no Perez) and the nostalgia of Mike Deodato Jr.
Catwoman- Jim Balent
Green Lantern - Ethan Van Sciver and Ron Lim
Robin - Tom Grummett
Aquaman - Ivan Reiss
Flash - Wieringo
Justice League - Francis Manapul and Howard Porter

As I wrote, I noticed my choices are from a around the same time so nostalgia is a huge factor but favorite does not have to equal “best”.

4 Likes

Nice call on Tom Grummett. I love his art!

1 Like

His work is good overall but I think he did well with teen characters in Robin and in Superboy.

2 Likes

Andrea Sorrentino on Green Arrow. Despite the definition everything still looked so sharp and she made the character feel so real. I feel like the Lemire/Sorrentino run of Green Arrow captured the very essence of what the New 52 was supposed to be in both story and art. Other than that I don’t really have too much preference on art as I’m really more of a story guy.

2 Likes

Superman-Curt Swan.
Aquaman-Jim Aparo
Flash-Carmine Infantino
Green Lantern-Gil Kane
Hawkman-Joe Kubert
Wonder Woman-(If Perez is out of the discussion, then I’ll pick her Silver Age team of Andru & Esposito)
The Atom-Gil Kane
Green Arrow-Mike Grell
And as for The Batman–we all know it will always be Neal Adams–but for the sake of this cool thread I will choose TWO very capable subs: Jim Aparo and Irv Novick

Jack Kirby-Orion
Norm Breyfogle-Batman ( with nods to Adams and Aparo)
Ron Lim-Silver Surfer

1 Like

I used to really like Aparo but when I went back through the Knightfall era I just wasn’t that into it anymore but I found a newer appreciation for Graham Nolan.

1 Like

Graham Nolan was great.

1 Like

Agree with all of the above. Adding a few more:

Powergirl and Amanda Conner
Booster Gold with Dan Jurgens and Norm Rapmund
Superman and Batman with Ed Mcquiness

For Batman, the classics, Aparo, Adams, Tim Sale and Eduardo Risso
I am addicted to Kevin Nolan and everything he does. He is so gifted, that when he inkes another artist, it looks like Nolan art. I will buy anything he draws. My two favorite stories of his:when Robin first meets Superman and his entry to the B/W Batman series.

Some of those listed above it’s not just the artist and writer, but inker and colorist as well. Some of the combos listed have done such great work it’s magical…everything came together like a perfect storm. when DC changed artist, I just stopped reading.

Newcomer that recently blew me away was Aquaman and Stjepan Sejic.

4 Likes

I’d have to say Cassandra Cain and Damion Scott. He gives Cass a broad, expressive face that can convey any number of emotions. And when she’s in the Batgirl costume, the thugs and henchmen she’s facing just loom over her.

Then the fight starts, and Scott is brilliant at depicting her speed and power. Notice that the sound effect words are placed after Batgirl’s kicks and punches make contact. She’s so fast that not even the person illustrating her can keep up.

3 Likes

Tony Harris on Jack Knight Starman for sure. Nobody else can get that character to look right for me.

Marcos Martin drawing Batgirl in her year one story was so great, that’s usually what I see in my head whenever I think of the character.

Kevin Nolan and Brian Bolland tie for the look of Batman. They’re both just so great. I loved Nolan’s Batman Black and White short story.

Joe Quesada with inking by Kevin Nolan of Jean Paul Valley Azrael. The character just hasn’t looked as awesome as when he first debuted in his first limited series. Nolan is key here as I don’t think Quesada’s artwork ever looked as good as when Nolan was on him.

Jack Kirby on Big Barda and the Demon. Actually, a lot of the Kirby created characters just don’t look as good if he doesn’t draw them!

I’m a Supes fan, so I’ve seen him drawn by all sorts of people, but nowadays these two modern artists really make him look so good: Jorge Jimenez and Clay Mann. Supes looks so modern and yet classic at the same time when drawn by these guys.

Wonder Woman by George Perez still reigns supreme, but Yannick Paquette’s version is up there with his I think.

Teen Titans by George Perez. I don’t think I’ve ever really been into that team drawn by anyone else except for Garcia-Lopez.

Swamp Thing by Stephen Bissette is just amazing. But he must be inked by Totleben or Alcala!

I didn’t get into the Flash until later, so Francis Manapul’s style is what sticks most into my head (okay, kinda lying, because I also remember really liking this one issue of Teen Titans with Carmine Infantino drawing Wally and he just looked super cool to me).

Ivan Reis of Aquaman was what made me buy that book and made me interested in the character, so he gets my vote.

And the ultimate trump card is Jose Luis Garcia Lopez on everybody! And pair him up with inks by Kevin Nolan and It’s utter perfection!

4 Likes

Adam Hughes on…any female character!
Dan Jurgens on Booster Gold
Ty Templeton on Blue Beetle
Jerry Ordway on Captain Marvel
Tom Mandrake on Martian Manhunter
Howard Porter on Flash (Wally, Jay and Barry)
Simon Bisley on Lobo

2 Likes

Jim lee/ Batman

5 Likes

Batman - Jim Lee
Batwoman - J. H. Williams III

2 Likes

Totally agree on Tony Harris. His Jack always had the best expressions.

3 Likes

Definitely agree with Jurgens on Booster Gold. I really like his work on everything but his Superman and Booster are classic. Kleeks, great point on inkers and colorists. I really liked Gotham Academy and the colors were a huge part of that.

2 Likes

So many “oh I forgot about him/her”.
And interesting choices. I’ve seen some names I love in a certain context. The Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story but I wouldn’t want Sale to draw the monthly.

1 Like

Breyfogle’s Batman. He did covers during the O’neil/Adams days, and they are gorgeous.

2 Likes

I love his covers. I bought two of the Black and White statues and painted one with blue replacing black. I hope they do more statues of his work.

1 Like

-Cowan on The Question.
-Ivan Reís on Green Lantern
-Scott Kollins on Flash
-Jurgens on Booster Gold
-Beck on Captain Marvel
-Kitson on LoSH
-Sharp on Wonder Woman
-Tarr on Batgirl
-Gary Frank on Superman
-Matt Wagner on Batman

1 Like