Fans talking Film Directors: What DC Film/Property can you see J.J. Abrams directing?

At one point, he wrote a script for a Superman movie, then it lost a director & J.J. expressed interest in Directing & WB said no. With that in mind, I’d love to see J.J. direct Man of Steel 2. What do you all think?

3 Likes

Oooh baby! Now this is a dude I want to see in the cinematic DC fold!

His Superman script sounded really stupid in all honesty from the summation of reviews I’ve read over the years.

That said, if he either writes a new script for a Superman movie and it’s good, or works with someone else who wrote a good script, then absolutely he should get on board a Superman movie.

I’d love to see him tackle the Green Lantern Corps movie. Space has been the place for him over the last decade. Can you imagine the lens flares (which I’m fine with) as Hal stands before the Guardians?

A Justice League sequel would be ideal as well.

WB just needs to call him up and say “How much do you want?” to which he can slyly reply “Uh, half.”

4 Likes

Yes! I feel the same way & I live the lense flare too, lol.

I could probably see him directing a Justice League film too.

Booster Gold

3 Likes

Maybe a Challengers of the Unknown? That would be fun.

1 Like

Speaking of Kirby, The New Gods would’ve been a top pick of mine but that’s taken.

If Wildstorm properties ever get a chance at cinematic life, I could see Abrams on WildC.A.T.S or Planetary.

2 Likes

Yes!!! I can definitely see WildCATS. I was also thinking the Authority, but we’d need a director better at handling more violent action.

1 Like

You know, I was going to say The Authority but Planetary struck me as a better use of Abrams’ talents in the sci-fi arena.

An Authority movie…hmmm, who could direct that’s a known director? Rodriguez? Cameron? Bigelow?

1 Like

Well… I can see him directing Green Lantern. Not because it would be good, but because Abrams is an absolute master of ruining perfectly good sci-fi franchises.

3 Likes

Hahaha.

I don’t really want JJ Abrams doing a DC movie either. But if I had to give him one… I could see him doing a movie based on Tom King and Tim Seeley’s Grayson.

1 Like

I love JJ as a producer but hate him as a director. His first Star Trek and Super 8 are the only things he did well enough.
That being said I think let him go off and try to get weird. Challengers of the Unknown, beat marvel by doing a good Fantastic Four movie first. He would also be great doing a Hawkman movie.

1 Like

I really liked his Mission Impossible film. It’s probably still my favorite out of all of them I think.

1 Like

He definitely did reinvigorate the Mission: Impossible franchise as well as Star Trek.

The movies that came before his entries in those franchises were directed by talented people but the movies themselves ended up being boring slogs. Abrams came along and gave each series a shot of much needed ass kicking adrenaline.

2 Likes

I like J.J.'s world building skills like he did on Alias and Mission Impossible, give him something small that he can build into something huge and farm out parts to other writers, directors, and producers. I/O vs. Skywatch, or Kherans vs Daemonites, New Gods might be interesting.

1 Like

Maybe a Checkmate movie? I’d be cool with a TV series of that too.

1 Like

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is my favorite villain from the M:I movies.

If he was alive, I’d love to see him in a JJ directed DC flick since they were so good in M:I III.

1 Like

PSH was an outstanding actor. Still bums me out that he passed away. I know people would have wanted to see him as the Penguin.

I don’t want to troll anyone but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the nerd community’s obsession with Abrams. To me, he’s a mediocre filmmaker who repurposes other people’s work to lesser effect. The Force Awakens was a terrible film. They’re looking for another droid who has critical information? Happened in A New Hope. They’ve got to destroy the Death Star again? Happened in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. There’s a villain in a mask? Repurposed Darth Vader. And he did the same thing in his Star Trek film by basically repurposing the ending of Star Trek 2 into one of his films. I thought Daisy Ridley was great but where was her story arc in the first film? She went from basically being a blank slate at the beginning of the film to defeating Kylo Ren at the end of the film with NO training. She gets on the Millennium Falcon and, despite having never been on the ship, is almost instantly fixing things on it and finishing Harrison Ford’s sentences. And Kylo Ren? An emo Darth Vader who wears a mask because he’s a fanboy?!? What a terrible, lame villain. Finn…what is his purpose, exactly? Other than to show us what a lame villain Kylo REN is as he almost defeats him as well. On top of that Han went back to his smuggling ways after his kid basically became a villain along the lines of a Hitler type? What hero would ever do that?!? And why did C3PO have a red arm? That’s right, for no reason whatsoever. And Captain Phasma…what an amazing character. She had something like 3 lines in the film and then died for no reason in the second film. Great job, JJ. I’m sorry but I just don’t see it. Abrams is a bad writer who copies other filmmakers work and skips logic to get to moments. I hope he never comes near a DC property.