False Faces [Jason Todd] Week 7: Jan. 20-Feb. 2

I think you got that right.

1 Like
  1. What was your favorite Jason Todd moment this week? Can you relate to Bruceā€™s day without sleep? Are you as buff as Vicki Vale?

First off, I wish I was as buff as Vicki Vale.

As for favorite Jason Todd moment, I think Iā€™ll go with his part in rescuing the hostages from Darkwolf. Perfect mix of helpful and whimsical, which is where Robin works the best. I liked the ā€œDonā€™t forget to say ā€˜whee!ā€™ā€ :smiley:

And while I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever gotten that bad, I do feel like thereā€™s been moments in life where lack of sleep has made me WAY more stupid than usual.

1. What did you think of Calendar Manā€™s story? Black Maskā€™s? Darkwolfā€™s? Cutterā€™s?

Like others have said, itā€™s strange seeing Calendar Man like this. I think I prefer the more modern take on him, but itā€™s still a fun story.

Black Maskā€™s story was great. It really makes sense that of all the villains in this run, this is the one that has stood the test of time and is now getting the movie treatment.

Darkwolf was interesting ā€“ itā€™s kind of funny that he went through all that trouble just to poison Catwomanā€™s pet panther. Which reminds meā€¦did any yā€™all know Catwoman had a pet panther? Thatā€™s pretty freaking awesome. Really, the best part of the story for me was the interaction with Catwoman and everyone ā€“ but considering my avatar, you might guess I have a preference. :sweat_smile:

Cutterā€™s story was cool for a one-shot. I get the feeling that the artist went to Moench and said ā€œHey, I kinda just want to draw Batman in a cemetary punching out bad guysā€ and he replied, ā€œI think we can work that in.ā€

1. Black Maskā€™s debut tale was still canon after the Crisis. What other stories from this era would you retain in continuity?

I think I would go with the Nocturna stuff, especially the dynamic that she has with Jason and Bruce. Itā€™s definitely melodramatic and over the top, but Iā€™ve really liked their dynamic so far.

1. What did you think about Green Arrowā€™s run-in with the law? Was Ollie in the right?

Thatā€™s a hard one, because I get his anger about people being imprisoned for coming her for a life free from civil war, but I think the way he goes about it doesnā€™t really solve anything. Sure he busts up the immigration center, but theyā€™ll just be open tomorrow and rounding people up again. Really, the only way to affect anything is to get into the system to reform it, but that takes way more time than his bleeding heart can allow.

I donā€™t say that as a diss to the character ā€“ I think that flaw of his is one of the most compelling things about Oliver when written right. His sense of empathy and need to fix injustice can be both his greatest strength and weakness.

1. If you have read Superman Annual #11, what did you think of Alan Mooreā€™s depiction and use of Jason?

To be perfectly honest, I donā€™t remember Jason playing much of a role, if any in the story. Thereā€™s a reason why when anyone talks about Jason in this story, itā€™s always ā€œThink clean thoughts, chum.ā€

1 Like

You know whatā€™s funny? Itā€™s still strange for me to not see Calendar Man like this.

3 Likes

And on that note, I think this was easily the best of the GA backup stories so far. Too bad almost everyone gave up on reading the backups after the awful ones the preceded itā€¦

He defeats Mongul using the Black Mercy. Jason is the one who actually wins the day.

Oh! I guess I have the animated adaptation more on my mind, where itā€™s Wonder Woman who does it.

As for GA ā€“ I remember reading the back-ups for the Crisis tie-in and liked the story there.

1 Like

It wouldnā€™t be the first time the DCAU took a Jason Todd story and gave it to someone else. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Fun fact about the GA stories ā€“ the current artist for this, Jerome K. Moore, is actually one of the big character designers for the Young Justice animated series.

2 Likes

Jasonā€™s impassioned plea in Batman #385 to join Batman in the Calender Man case despite the threat of death that hung over his head.

Points of interest there:

• ā€œIā€™m Robin and being Robin gives me magic.ā€
  • ā€œCalender Man is threatening meā€“trying to turn the very concept of Robin into a drawback.ā€
  • "It all boils down to two things: Does the Batman really need a Robinā€“And am I good enough to be Robin? Yes or no?

I can certainly relate to Bruceā€™s day without sleep. Its happened to me a time or two.

Iā€™m not at all buff these days.

• I enjoyed Calender Manā€™s story the most I think. Those costumes were hilarious though I do wish that Batman #384 was available here. I also liked how he was both a goofily costumed minor villain but that he was also intimidating at the same time.

• Cutterā€™s story reminded me a little of ā€œAlmost Got 'Imā€ from B:TAS only in reverse. So I enjoyed it even though it was clear who the winner was going to be there.

• Its been awhile since I read Black Maskā€™s origin so I appreciated the re-introduction to his character and I loved the story as well. I especially liked the parallel explanations of how both Bruce and Roman were planning on ensnaring the other.

• The best part of the Darkwolf story for me was that Catwoman was in it and in one of my favorite versions of her costume to boot. Catwoman is one of my favorite long standing Batman characters and I always love a good interaction between her and any Bat character.

Nocturna would be one of them for certain. Iā€™m not sure I would keep Thief of the Night/Night Slayer beyond his arrest though.

I think he was in the right however I agree with @Jay_Kay about GAā€™s actions really amounting to very little in the end.

I really liked how Jason was instrumental in saving the day in that issue and that it was something important enough to his past that it even got a mention decades later in the N52ā€™s RHATO despite the fact it had been retconned by the Crisis and the N52ā€™s screw-ball continuity.

2 Likes

In retrospect, that scene almost feels like a preemptive retort to the infamous 1-900 number vote, doesnā€™t it? At least everyone finally got it when Tim said it againā€¦

2 Likes

It does at that. The seeds of the idea of Batman needing a Robin and the question of Jasonā€™s worthiness to wear the ā€œRā€ seem to have planted here.

I think its interesting to point out that while the idea of Batman needing a Robin transferred whole and unaltered into the Post-Crisis where it was re-interated by Tim in a ā€œLonely Place of Dyingā€, the question of Jasonā€™s worthiness to be Robin was twisted into his being the ā€œBad Robinā€ by writers in later stories even though I donā€™t really think he was any worse at the job then the other Robins have been.

1 Like

Oh, weā€™re getting into that topic very soon. We have two more sessions in the Doug Moench era, and then weā€™ll see just how ā€œbadā€ Jason actually got before ā€œThe Diplomatā€™s Son.ā€

For people who want to jump ahead and see that Jason was typically not a bad Robin (either in competence or attitude) after the Crisis, you can check out the story that World of Bats just swiped, The Cult. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to those discussions on here to be honest. Itā€™s been to long since Iā€™ve had a decent discussion about Post-Crisis Jason.

I love that story. My sister actually bought me the trade of it a few Christmases ago. We are still reading it here too though right?

1 Like

Probably not directly, since the gap will be too short.

Ah, then I guess Iā€™ll head over to World of Batā€™s for this one if Iā€™ve the time.

2 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m just surprised that Iā€™m not the one who swiped it! :rofl:

1 Like

Next time, World of Bats! Next tiiiiiiiiiiime! :fist:
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@AlexanderKnox is Doctor Claw, confirmed.

1 Like

Tt.

tumblr_nibzzrXmnm1r8kbj9o1_500

2 Likes