Explanation for Negative Man’s Character Changes

@abfgmsw

I’m speaking as someone who never watched very far into any of the CW shows, so bear with me, but I am inclined to agree with you. I don’t think this phenomenon is entirely due to the show writers, but also because of the nature of how superheroes’ backstories are written. Whether we’re talking DC or Marvel, nearly all superheroes have some form of parental problems; especially the younger ones. Also, the CW shows aim to attract teens and preteens, who tend to value relationship drama and daily-life obstacles of that kind more than the average adult.

2 Likes

@abfgmsw

I think you lost me there but yknow whatever man have yourself a good day

Reminder to everyone to stay on topic, please. OP offered their expertise on Doom Patrol to discuss potential reasons the choice was made. If you are interesting in discussing the source material to achieve a better understanding of those potential choices, you have come to the right place.

1 Like

No problem with the change, and it adds depth just as Cliff being a cheating jerk whose wife then dies did for him. To me, Larry was lying to his family which is a big Negative others can have a different take away. Also let’s not lose sight of the fact that this show is Freaking awesome

3 Likes

Interesting twist that makes him feel like a freak even beyond the accident and bandages. Something more personal and in his time he would be considered a freak and horrible person

4 Likes

Everyone is paying for their “sins”
Rita rejects a disfigured man and became disfigured
Cliff hurts his family by selfish physical pleasure and now has no pleasure of the flesh
Larry hides his true self in a way that is bound to hurt others and now is permanently hidden from others

8 Likes

Wow I didn’t even think of that, that’s a fantastic connection

1 Like

Karma!

1 Like

The point that @msgtv makes also completely takes apart the argument that Larry’s gay identity “adds nothing” to the story. His identity—and the repercussion of his choice to hide it—has allegorical significance to the story at large.

5 Likes

Agreed. I wish I had thought of that exact post since I was one of the first to comment. It all definitely add to the story being told

1 Like

Gooster and TX, took me awhile but with with art (which this undeniably is) you have to go beyond your initial reaction and actually think about themes. Once you start with Rita it comes quickly. Larry’s sexuality is not a throwaway nod to diversity but an essential element of what connects these “freaks .” So, my minor in English came to some use.

3 Likes

Yes sir!