Expanding the Reading Experience

Does anyone have any suggestions on any types of activities to do along with/after reading a comic to expand the experience, making it more memorable?

An example of what I mean would be how I’m currently doing something of a monthly summary to record these experiences over on the 2021 reading challenge forum:

3 Likes

@Monkey3s have you checked out the many clubs here on DCUI? There are many read along clubs focusing on characters or subjects/genres. Members comment on what they read, participate in watch-alongs on retaliated shows or movies, and do other activities related to what they’re reading. Check it out.

4 Likes

Yeah, clubs are great, I’m subscribed to a multitude of them. I guess I’m kind of looking more for something of reading habits I guess, like how I take notes on the designated stories I plan to write reviews for.

4 Likes

Hi @Monkey3s ! What a thoughtful question. @TravisMorgan pointed out the really good stuff in terms of joining one of our clubs, which is nice for connecting with fellow fans for guided suggestions and unpacking any lingering questions you might have about the characters. They’re all spaces that don’t shame you for not knowing something, which can be kind of refreshing in the comic book realm.

I’m not sure where you’re located, but I really enjoy spending time at my local retailers. There’s an interactive map here where you can see which retailers have been logged in DC’s database for practicing social distancing, etc.

Free Comic Book Day is coming up, and that’s a fun celebration of discovery that most retailers participate in.

Typically there are lots of great cons you can go to, as well! Last year, we had a digital convention called DC FanDome that brought us all together to enjoy this passion together.

The Tales From The Vault series by the official DC Archivist, Benjamin Le Clear, gives some great insight into the behind the scenes of DC history (and by proxy, the comic industry).

Finally, I would encourage you to browse the Helpful Resources in the Community, found on the homepage. Those are just plain fun.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Ah, this sounds like you’d also enjoy connecting some dots with wikis, encyclopedias, or reading orders, maybe? Check out the Essential Reading section for similar concepts!

4 Likes

I remember https://comicbookreadingorders.com/ Amazing and overwhelming at the same time. Lol I remember obsessing over the master reading orders.

3 Likes

Ooooh, I think we’re getting close…Member @Archguru created this topic that might pique your interest:

3 Likes

Nice! That reminds me of https://dcreadingorder.com/, man does Travis Starns need to catch up lol.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Travis needed a break :rofl:

3 Likes

true true

2 Likes

I’ve decided to add on to the writing thing. I’ve just drawn the covers of some of the issues I’m going to review for March! I’ll post them in the regular. I don’t think I need to really keep what I’m going to read as a secret.