Exclusive Sneak Peek! SUPERMAN RED & BLUE #1 Releasing 3.16.21

Cover Art: Gary Frank & Brad Anderson

Look, up in the sky! It’s a bird… it’s a plane…No, it’s a #sneak-peek of the SUPERMAN RED & BLUE Anthology mini-series! Even if you’ve never read a Superman comic, if you’ve never felt like he was “your” definitive hero, you will still love and appreciate the incredible artwork and iconic depth as we explore what makes a true hero.

Synopsis: To start things off in March’s Superman: Red & Blue #1, Academy Award-winning writer of DC Future State: The Next Batman John Ridley joins artist Clayton Henry (Batman/Superman) to tell a story of Clark Kent as he confronts a villain who still haunts him, in a story that shows what Superman can mean to a whole country. Then, Brandon Easton (DC Future State’s Mister Miracle ) and Steve Lieber (Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen) take readers to the streets of Metropolis to show how one hero can mean so much to an individual in pain.

Pre-order your copy today by heading to dccomics.com, or dialing up your favorite FLCS!

Will you be picking up this absolutely beautiful mini-series? Let us know in the comments below! :point_down:

18 Likes

I wasn’t sure about this book, but the preview looks interesting. Ridley is a great writer, Academy Award winning, and I’ve really liked his history of DC and the Next Batman, so I’ll probably pick this up.

5 Likes

:00_superman1:ounds :00_superman1:uper :+1:

5 Likes

Will I be picking up this?

Oh yes.

Yes, yes, yes.

And that preview looks great!

Wow, Wes Craig is nice.

And, I’d be remiss… John Ridley, my favorite comic book writer, an article about his story in SUPERMAN RED & BLUE #1.

But yep, between this, and SUPERMAN ‘78, and JJ Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Superman… life is pretty super duper right now.

6 Likes

Looks great.

4 Likes

I was just wondering when this book was gonna come out. Looking forward to picking it up next week!

4 Likes

Hey DC Comics, this is your year! So many great books are coming out soon that’s worth reading!:smiley:

5 Likes

Already subscribed to it. Very much looking forward to it.

4 Likes

So excited for this series!

3 Likes

I scrolled through the pictures without enlarging them as I want a fresh experience but from what I saw, this looks AMAZING! I have had this on my subscription list at my LCS for a while and am really excited to read this book.

4 Likes

Just so you guys know, the pages you showed isn’t from Clayton Henry and John Ridley’s story, but from Wes Graig.

Still, that story looks cool, and I’m definitely looking forward to picking this series up. :smiley:

4 Likes

Man, reading that interview really makes me wish Ridley was writing the next Superman movie and not Coates. I think Ridley has proven to be far better at writing superhero stories with real world messages than Coates, at least in my opinion.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay

Yeah, I’m just the opposite, I’m of course thrilled with Ta-Nehisi Coates writing it.

I’d never read his super-hero work before and finally read BLACK PANTHER: A NATION UNDER OUR FEET VOL. 1 and VOL. 2 through comiXology Unlimited.

I thought it was good. I’d never read a Black Panther comic before so maybe it was different from what’s normally in Black Panther comics? Either way, as a story I thought it was good.

And that’s the main reason why I’m excited for Ta-Nehisi Coates, because I think he tells good stories. And a Black Superman would be of course a different character than the Black Panther, so it’ll be a different story… and I’d naturally hope a great story.

Also, I imagine John Ridley is working on his The American Way project with his Jason Fisher character.

And excellent series… this follow-up series at least, I thought.

Although, it’s been a few years so we’ll see where that’s still at…

And curious that he took The American Way to Blumhouse. I suppose Warner Bros. didn’t want it or something and passed on it? They published the comic at DC Vertigo but didn’t want to adapt it?

Who knows… and maybe it is coming to WarnerMedia and HBO Max now… ?

I’d like to see John Ridley do John Stewart for Warner Bros. That I think would be an excellent fit. So at whatever stage the Green Lantern, or Green Lantern Corps movie is at… they obviously know how to get in contact with John Ridley. [insert smiley face]

3 Likes

I got all of Coates run at that point (and a lot of other BP comics) after Boseman died and Marvel put them all for free, and while I haven’t read all of them, I feel like Coates is very slow and meandering in the way he delivers his plot. It was his first work writing in comics so he may have improved over time, but from what I’ve heard from others online, it’s still touch and go. I’m still going to go through them and give it a shot, it’s just there’s so much stuff to read! :sweat_smile:

In terms of other Black Panther runs, I still think the greatest run is without a doubt Christopher Priest’s. He’s essentially to Black Panther what Frank Miller is to Daredevil and Batman. His whole run isn’t on CU, but a trade containing the first 17 issues is.

Speaking of Ridley and John Stewart, he actually did do a John story for the recent Valentine’s Day Special.

3 Likes

I’ve enjoyed Coates run on Captain America, and while Coates is a phenomenal writer of non fiction, I think that Ridley probably beats him as a script writer.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay

Right, that’s one of the main criticism that I’ve seen about Ta-Nehisi Coates and his super-hero work, that it’s slow, and some say too cerebral.

Of course, I like slow and cerebral, so…

I’m not the world’s biggest fan of super-hero fisticuffs and action… but I love Superman, so go figure.

A Superman story that’s slow and cerebral though… now that’s what up (as the cool kids used to say). That’s what I want.

And maybe that’s what Ta-Nehisi Coates is going to do. Or at least largely in that vein, because I’d be surprised if it’s going to be a wall-to-wall action piece. He doesn’t strike me as the kind of writer to go to for that.

Yeah, and John Ridley is writing an essay for the John Stewart hardcover.

In a perfect world they would give John Ridley a John Stewart DC Black Label series.

I liked how he handled John Stewart in THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1.

一. Ichi (“one” in Japanese)…

And 二. Ni (“two” in Japanese)…

Give him the free reign that Black Label offers and let him tell a story. And then make a movie out of it and let him write it. [insert smiley face]

Speaking of slow and cerebral Superman stories, and to keep on topic, that I believe is going to be the beauty of SUPERMAN RED & BLUE.

A nice mix of short stories, ranging from a number of topics and subjects. And some slow and cerebral.

完璧. Kanpeki. Perfect.

6 Likes

Just read issue 1 and loved it. The stories are more heartwarming than expected and that is a great thing. The different writing and art styles for each story were excellent and I can’t wait for 2 to be come out!

4 Likes

Good to hear, I’m picking mine up in the morning. :smile:

3 Likes

Can’t wait to read your thoughts on this book. I wanted to say more but I also know most people aren’t on the Tuesday schedule for comics.

4 Likes

From CBR…

My favorite of the bunch…

John Ridley and Clayton Henry kick off the series with a tale following Clark Kent reflecting on his own vulnerabilities as he returns to the Eastern European country of Lubania, where he previously had a traumatic experience.

It had that “real world” vibe or quality that was indicative of the Superman “soft reboot” in 1970 with SUPERMAN #233, which ushered in the Bronze Age.

And the comics that John Ridley’s story serves as a follow-up of sorts to, WORLD’S FINEST #192 and #193, were published in 1970 as well. So solidly in that… milieu, if you will. [insert smiley face]

Not for everyone, but good stuff to me… this SUPERMAN RED & BLUE story.

3 Likes