Exclusive Sneak Peek! OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE (2021) #4 Releasing 5.25.21

Variant Cover by Jamal Campbell

This week, our friends in publishing are giving the DC Community a #sneak-peek inside THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE (2021) #4, spotlighting none other than Renee Montoya.

John Ridley writes Renee Montoya’s story in the unflinching lockjawed parlance of a “seen everything” street cop. Matter-of-fact and with complete clarity, we are taken through her struggles of negotiating her family roots with her convictions and identity.

Click on for a #sneak-peek into the latest entry of this remarkable mini-series!

Writer: John Ridley
Layouts: Giuseppe Camuncoli
Finishes: Andrea Cucchi
Color: José Villarrubia
Lettering: Steve Wands

Synopsis: Words can be tricky. Renee Montoya has known this for most of her life. Words taught her to feel ashamed of her gender, her sexuality, and her ethnicity. The people of Gotham City taught her to hide who she was to fit in to, be loved, and in doing so, they taught her to hate herself. But from that despair came something unexpected and powerful.

Renee’s path from a closeted police officer in the 1990s to her time as the faceless vigilante known as the Question is one that is inextricably linked with queerness. It is one that is defiant of binaries, outmoded and hateful stereotypes, and the words that propagate them. As the Question, Renee stood in contrast to society’s rigid expectations of her, held a mirror up to the world’s face, and asked, “Who are you?”

The long-awaited miniseries written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Let It Fall) and beautifully illustrated by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Andrea Cucchi continues to explore the mythology of the DC Universe, as seen through the prism of DC Super Heroes from historically disenfranchised groups.

Pre-order your copy today by dialing up your favorite FLCS, or visiting dccomics.com.

Have you been reading THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE? Let us know what you think in the comments below! :point_down:

11 Likes

Yaaaaaassssssssss!!! I’m loving this series. And this is a good reminder to get my butt to the LCS next week so they don’t return my pulls to the wild.

(Is type-o?)

4 Likes

Thank you for catching! Fixed :slight_smile:

I’ve been really enjoying this series as well- it’s a departure from the usual comic format but still feels true to the medium, which fascinates me.

7 Likes

The format is absolutely inspired by the original “History of the DC Universe,” but with a much more personal touch to the text, with a powerful interweaving of real world events in the context of these superhero stories. Anyway IT’S A QUESTION BOOK AND I AM HERE FOR IT

8 Likes

:eyes::star_struck:

You and me both @HubCityQuestion. Sounds awesome.

6 Likes

Looks great and that cover art is awesome™:+1:

6 Likes

Looks great.

And…

And this looks neat. :relaxed:

5 Likes

This is amazing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

This series is outstanding. I can’t wait for the collected hardcover edition for my bookshelf.

4 Likes