Even James Wan doesn't know why Swamp Thing was cancelled

Wan wrote: “Don’t really know or understand why #Swampthing was cancelled, but I can tell you this – all the cast and crew, and producing/writing team poured their hearts into this. Really proud of everyone’s hard work. Go watch episode 2, and immortalize these 10 episodes. Swampy deserves it.”

13 Likes

There are no legitimate reasons to believe that the DCU service is in jeopardy at the current time

3 Likes

Hopefully it’ll be immortalized via a physical release. 4K, preferably, but Blu-Ray is fine. Same for Doom Patrol. These masterpieces need to be preserved for future generations.

4 Likes

@DigificWriter, it seems like We’ve Got This Covered begs to differ (https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/wb-reportedly-plans-shut-dc-universe-titans-survive/?fbclid=IwAR27cH0pQ8WGjMEASIuHNHbs5OCoKIZKjk8ZuzcWcMH_7d0zSL8FTuC5KiU).

1 Like

@dnno1
Dang, why does this article keep coming up? The writer cites “someone close to we got this covered” as a source. That’s not someone close to DC, WB, or ATT (they would’ve said that if it was). For all we know, the source could be the writer making stuff up out of thin air, and citing himself as a source. The article is super sketchy at best.

2 Likes

Every article I have read states that it was the state of South Carolina that pulled the funding due to some error.
I certainly hope that the DC Universe isn’t shut down. I really enjoy the content.

1 Like

Guys, DC Universe is thriving. I encourage you to revisit some of the articles that have been posted over this last week as most of the media outlets that reported on Swamp Thing made retracted statements regarding North Carolina.

DC Universe is going nowhere. Please keep calm and go read Batman! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Go to your room and read Batman!

1 Like

What a hot mess this service is.

Going nowhere or no where is the question.

Warner is acting like DC is its stepchild, they don’t bother the money it’s giving them, but they’re pulling all the wrong moves when it comes to that particular property. Cancelling Swamp Thing is absurdly dumb from the position of one absolutely original comic-book show on the television. There’s nothing like it! But, hey, let’s cancelling and do something like CW’s “Arrowverse” because somebody up there doesn’t get Swamp Thing at all…

I do not understand why they would cancel Swamp Thing. I have to say, I think it was the best of the shows they have done so far. Doom Patrol, despite some fine talent, acting, and writing is more than a bit off the wall, Teen Titans is good, but sloooooowwwwwwww to get off the mark. Swamp Things first two episodes were fantastic, and building, imho, into a show to be extremely proud of. This feels like the cancellation of the Marvel pack on Netflix (although, there, the reasons, while pecuniary, were understandable.) I do think that WB has shot themselves in the foot. DC universe could have kept it, moved it to streaming WB later, if they wanted. BUT, to do a cancellation announcement like they did? They will lose potential viewers while it was just getting started. I had a friend say, that they were GOING to start watching it, but, hell, if it was going to be cancelled, why bother? Decision right up there with New Coke, and cancelling Firefly, Doll House, or any of the other decisions that must have been seriously regretted afterwards. Marvel has pulled some boners in the past (Any Fanstatic 4 movie, Ghost Rider, 1st Hulk Movie, spiderman 3, etc.) BUT, they do commit. DC & WB seem to suffer from “premature cancellation”. They cancelled the Justice League movive, the Flash Movie, etc. Dammit, it takes time and money to build an audience. AND you have to have writers who love the characters. DC, i have always loved your heroes, but this might just cause me to cancel my DC universe subscription.

At this point, we’ve all heard the story of Swamp Thing’s cancellation and other stories that include all video being cancelled and DCU turning into comics only. For the time being, I’ve been treating these all as rumors, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to ignore the stories.

The best thing, in my opinion, would be if WB/DCU would just issue an official statement and put all these stories to rest.

Any chance of that happening?

@kboutin
There has not been an official statement from DC, but the mods have clearly said on these forums every time one of the rumor sites comes up that they are indeed rumors. In fact,@Harleys Puddin replete earlier on this thread with that exact message.

2 Likes

*replied

1 Like

We Got This Covered is a known purveyor of bullshit. Believing in the things that they post is the equivalent of believing in front conspiracy theories about how the moon landing was faked.

2 Likes
  • fringe, not front (stupid autocorrect).
1 Like

While I appreciate the replies, my post was not about any of the rumors about DCU or from an article/websote or social media post spreading rumors. This quote came directly from James Wan himself on his Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByeFQAeBq9Y/?igshid=tg5ecqanfkgz

3 Likes