Esoteric/Hidden Symbolism in Comics

I love this topic and will happily check back in on the regular, in case you share more.

I found a bunch in The Killing Joke that I shared ages ago, but I’m not sure where the post is. I can dig it up sometime. (And its examples might not count as symbolism, but they were great artistic choices).

2 Likes

1 Like

That’s insanely well done! Is that a fan cosplay pic, or some updated realistic cover art I missed?

Cosplay

2 Likes

Sick. That’s amazing.

And ps – love your user pic

1 Like

It’s based on the lost boys film by Warner brothers. It has a lot of hidden symbolism as well. For ex: David, Star, Bottle of blood, Joining a ‘club,’ etc.

1 Like

Yep, I recognized it! Loved that film as a kid. Still do, though it’s been a while since I’ve seen it.

1 Like

Was possibly overthinking stuff, but this was it.

2 Likes

Does a cameo appearance from the Eye of Providence/Bill Cipher count? (DC Pride #1)

2 Likes

maybe not as symbolism, but it’s still a cool touch :+1:

2 Likes

Batman Beyond #33

One eye symbolism

1 Like

I can’t remember where I heard/read it, but during the 1960s DC creators took great pleasure in sneaking in a certain image in Supergirl and Wonder Woman comics.

I’ll see myself out. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

Hey, they all bear the Comics Code Authority seal so they must be wholesome!

Related:

4 Likes

Wasn’t there like a whole bondage fetish with Wonder Woman? :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah her creator was a bit of a weirdo and pet her in bondage a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, and his personal life was rather interesting too.

2 Likes

I can’t remember the details well, but that movie was way better than I expected! Not sure about accuracy, but the subject matter was handled in a mature way rather than exploitative.

2 Likes

Futures End #33

3 Likes

Couple of Blue Beetle ones and a couple of OMAC ones as well.

2 Likes