Entering The Ring: Describe The Fighting Style Of Your Favorite Character

A few thoughts,

So I have trained with various bladed weaponry and modern Katana bothers me. She is wearing right handed armor but fights with her left hand often (artists also can’t decide whether Soultaker is a two handed weapon or not but I’m focusing on the style here.) I believe that as a truly talented fighter she can likely fight with either hand but given that the armor is specifically designed to have the right side facing forwards, why does she choose to fight left handed against non-swordsmen/women? (Fun Fact: lefties have a slight advantage over righties in sword fighting. It would make sense for her to use left handed against other sword fighters but not against people with fists or guns.)

I once attempted to definitively rank the DC universe’s martial artist on the main earth. Characters like Karate Kid were therefore not included. Also, characters with powers were not counted. Judomaster, Wonder Woman, Deathstroke, and Prometheus among others were excluded under this condition. I had a really tough time with some of these. Age was an important factor as some were better than others at one point or another. I based it off of DC canon fights and the rare instances where someone was confirmed to be better than someone else only, no guessing. This is what came up as the final result for top 5:

1. Cassandra Wayne
  2. Lady Shiva
  3. Richard Dragon
  4. Batman
  5. Bronze Tiger
    (Batman and Tiger were closest)

The Sensei, David Cain, O-Sensei, Black Canary, Conner Hawk, I-Ching, and Wildcat get honorable mentions. Feel like I should note that one off characters were also not included.

5 Likes

Does that also work for gauntlets? The Shredder is left handed.

4 Likes

Hm… maybe? The advantage is that they are naturally able to attack the “inside” (the side of the body where the sword isn’t and all the important squishy stuff inside you is) of a righty but that really starts losing meaning when both hands are in play separately (as in not single handed or two handed weaponry). Longer blades would give him a definite slight edge over right handed swordsmen/women but then they would get awkward. Shredder is good so he can probably turn “possibly a very slight advantage” into a solid winning hand though.

(The left vs right thing is something of a hot topic in a group I’ve trained with. The difference in advantage is pretty small but nonetheless present. The debate is over whether the difference is large enough to warrant learning to fight with your off hand early.)

3 Likes

Briefly forgot that she was adopted.

3 Likes

Yup! I was. That was canon. Stupid Dr Manhattan decided he didn’t like my last name so he had it changed by moving a lamp though.

3 Likes

Darn you, Manhattan!

4 Likes