Entering The Ring: Describe The Fighting Style Of Your Favorite Character

Just for fun, describe how a character fights in hand to hand combat in regard to their skills and style of fighting. Whether it’s mix martial arts or just simple fisticuffs.
Be sure to include a memorable example of their fights in them.

7 Likes

I personally have a few examples, but I want to highlight just one for now.
Grifter is a superhero with military experience who likely fought in various styles in his career. However I argue it’s more likely Cole is accustomed to a particular fighting style where he focuses on responding to a opponent quickly and aggressively as possible. Something like Krav Mag@

In this instance from Urban legends. Grifter is not able to quickly defuse the situation with Batman as he likes to because Batman is a much stronger fighter. Grifter resorts to unconventional attacks along with him using his environment in his benefit to defeat Batman.

5 Likes

The obvious one for Superman is boxing.

smmapublicity_8662

As many different foes as he has to fight, I imagine he’s learned them all. Every fight style we have, and some alien ones we couldn’t imagine, he just favors boxing. His Pa taught him first, Ali taught him best, and he probably has fond memories of watching fights with his dad. I can imagine Pa Kent telling him “Don’t start a fight, but if someone starts one with you I want you to know how to defend yourself.”

6 Likes

In DKR, Batman showed that he knows Jiu Jitsu: which anyone who watches MMA or has ever trained knows is a fantastic martial art to know for a one on one encounter with anyone.

5 Likes

I don’t know if it’s been shown, and if it has I can’t recall it off the top of my head — but I do think Virgil knows martial arts given that his dad does, and that his dad has been training him long before Virgil ever got his powers.

Now I really need to see it all drawn out. Static’s powers are great for long-range attacks, but I’d love to see him kicking ass hand to hand too.

4 Likes

I am the surgeon.

5 Likes

Bane’s preferred style is obviously wrestling, given the way that he fights and the luchador mask he wears.

image15

One mistake I believe they made initially with Bane, that should be corrected is showing his face without his mask. In Lucha culture, a luchadors mask is their livelihood and they’re never seen in public without it. Unmasking a luchador is a big deal.

4 Likes

We see Bane without his mask?

3 Likes

banenovenom

I suppose it was unavoidable in telling his origin story, but it’s happened several times since.

3 Likes

I can’t even describe how scary you fight sometimes Batman. Especially when he-I mean you are a older man.

In all seriousness, I was trying to find a real-world comparison but Batman always has the ability to ignite a similar fear intimidation tactic that he would honestly remind me of Vader occasionally with his Dun Möch form of combat.

That DKR surgeon scene is one moment but I also remember this part in Batman: Gotham knight as another example of Dun Möch style.

3 Likes

A cool thing I noticed in the Batgirl DLC for Arkham Knight is that since Batgirl isn’t as strong as Batman because she’s a woman she makes up for it by mainly using kicks.

3 Likes

Bruce is stronger because he’s dedicated his entire life to crimefighting and has a lot more years of experience than Babs, not because he’s a man

4 Likes

Men are biologically stronger than women, I hope I didn’t come off as rude or anything but that’s just how we’re made.

2 Likes

I don’t really understand how this post is hateful there’s studies that say that men have more muscle fibers and denser bones.

https://asbmr.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1359/JBMR.041005

3 Likes

I always like how Luke Fox fought. It stands out to me because despite having the armored Batwing suit which has a wide arrange of tech to likely dispatch people fairly quickly, he usually focuses on close quarters combat. His actually a profound MMA fighter and while he can throw solid punches, I noticed he does plenty of kicking.

Lot’s and Lot’s of kicking. I would say he specializes in kickboxing and the Batwing suit just provides really good maneuverability.

3 Likes

This video on Spider-Man’s fighting style is really interesting, apparently he’s fighting style is a mixture of Capoeira and Lucha libre wrestling.

4 Likes

i didn’t know who to pick, so i went with my favorite character (who only has like 10 total appearances lolol)

that character is jason, wonder woman’s twin brother:

at first his fighting style is just a quick hit and run type in order to not get caught by his father (it failed)

but later it’s revealed that he was trained by his brother Heracles

in hand to hand and seems to favor using the spear,

he also has the unique ability to become a storm which he pulls out when he’s really pissed

later on he inherits armor made by his father (it was meant for diana but the olympians gave it to him anyway) which grants him the ability of any one greek god at a time (kinda like ultra boy) and he usually uses that to supplement his flight speed, strength, and other powers as well as using athena’s wisdom for strategizing and any other relevant powers as needed

in addition he can blast lightning or use it to add more weight to his punches

can heal in minutes from having his throat slit and also, in probably the most impressive feat, can dodge darkseids omega beams by transforming into the air itself

and he also got a magic spear from his mother that he named polly

3 Likes

I had forgotten about Jason. Your post made me happy to remember him.

5 Likes

i’m glad they were good memories! i’ll be the first to admit his execution wasn’t ideal but on his own he’s a great character with loads of potential!

2 Likes

I completely agree. I think he could have really been an interesting character!

4 Likes