Endless Winter Discussion

This is a discussion on the line “Endless Winter” Thoughts? Ideas? Debate? Argument? Talk! Think!
JUSTL_58_300-001_HD_5fc52d7d1e44b6.43874536

3 Likes

I’m really hoping Ice will have a part to play in this story! Especially since the Big bad shares her Brother’s name (Ewald Olafsson)

9 Likes

The title sends chills! Mission accomplished. Dig these covers.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Year of the Villain felt like Underworld Unleashed 2.0

This feels like Final Night 2.0

Premise wise, at least. I haven’t read it yet but I’ve heard good things.

2 Likes
  • The way Barry’s been asking everyone about family and having some deep thoughts about that topic makes me think he’s gonna propose to Iris at the end of this
  • Considering that Hippolyta and Black Adam have had significant roles already and the post-Future State Justice League lineup is already confirmed, I have to figure this will also end w/ those 2 joining the League
  • I thought it was interesting how Adam decided to open up Kahndaq to refugees here. Between this and the growing anti-vigilante movement in Gotham, is DC finally setting the stage to bringing Doomsday Clock back into the fold?

This was such a wasted opportunity. She really should’ve had a significant role to play, but considering we’re already two-thirds of the way done, I can’t imagine she’ll show up for much more than a cameo

3 Likes

I have been enjoying Endless Winter. Frost King is a great villain and he often feels like a villain in a fairy tale. I am most interested in what is going on in the mind of Flash as he struggles with the balance of work, life, and being a superhero. It is a small nuance but it quickly makes Barry Allen one of the most relatable characters in comic books.

I was not aware of this character but I will be seeking him out as I have never seen my middle name used anywhere. Also, please ensure that you pronounce Ewald as ey-vahlt and not Ee-wald. I have heard it pronounced like Ewok many times and I often have to suck it up and move on.

3 Likes

thanks for the pronunciation tip!
So many times characters like this are created and all we have are the names but not guides on how to say them correctly!

3 Likes

It is a very German name, actually my full name is about as German as you can get. A general rule is that the “w” is pronounced as a “v”. However, in the case of the Frost King, his name is Edwald which is extremely interesting. I have just done a search and ended up on Ancestory.com. It appears this is a rare name in America as there are only 63 immigrants with that last name and under 250 people with that last name in the census records.

2 Likes

Also, while I am thinking about it, can we talk about Swamp Thing?!?! So much has happened in this series that I absolutely love.

2 Likes

Have you been reading Justice League Dark? The last 3 or 4 issues really help explain what’s going on with current day Swamp Thing. Historical Swamp Thing: I need to go back and read it, but I think this year’s Halloween Spectacular ties into this a bit with the mythos. Looking forward to Ram bringing him into the spotlight after all of the Future State books.

2 Likes

I have not. Endless Winter is actually the first normal DC book I have bought in forever. My pull list is filled with Black Label books.

2 Likes

I am excited for Future State! What I really want to see is more new ground and watch expansion happen on the DCU! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the BLACK LABEL! Wish there were more than what there is!

2 Likes

I agree, sort of. My main thing when I putting books on my pull list is to keep it to limited series. Endless Winter fell into that category as I am only getting those 9 books. This is mainly to keep things within budget. There was a time when I was getting like 15 or more books a week and it is now at 5 max books a week.

The part that I do agree with is I wish there was more options from Black Label.

1 Like

Looks like they have through The Witching Hour here on DC Universe. Still puts you I think 10 issues behind, but should be enough there to appreciate what Swamp Thing has gone through to get this point in Endless winter.

2 Likes

I have read Witching Hour and loved it. That was actually when I noticed that Swamp Thing was getting more in a team setting than I was expecting.

2 Likes

I think Swamp Thing has always been under-rated.

2 Likes

Each character defines some aspect of the DCU and you can’t give more attention to one than the other. I know they have character guides but I would love to see a book on just the origin stories alone, sort of a novella if you will not necessarily the encyclopedia form or the secret origin form but a real in-depth novella.

1 Like

I have recently discovered him in comic books. Granted, I have seen both movies, the cartoon, and bits of each of the live-action series. I will say that I am quickly becoming a fan.

1 Like