Embarrassing Assumptions about DC

What are some assumptions you had before you got to know Dc

I assumed Supergirl was the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman , ugh so emparrassingšŸ˜–

11 Likes

Before I started reading comics I always thought Dick Grayson was Robin I never knew or heard of Night Wing

9 Likes

I, like many, thought Superman was a stupid character because he was too op. I didnā€™t realize that Superman being op allowed writers to use more interesting conflicts in their stories than just ā€œthe bad guy punches real goodā€. Iā€™ve learned my lesson. Supes is great.

16 Likes

I always thought Wonder Girl was the daughter of Wonder Woman so thereā€™s thatā€¦

9 Likes

The New Gods are so much more powerful than the Greek Gods.

Someone: Hey, Diana! Hades is attacking. Diana: OK, Iā€™m off to fight him."

Any DCU Hero: ā€œHey, Darkseid is attacking. Send f-in everybody!!!ā€

5 Likes

I used to be part of the ā€œAquaman is lameā€ bandwagon because one of my only experiences with the character was with the so-bad-itā€™s-good Super Friends cartoon.
It wasnā€™t until I got into the original comics, plus watching his appearances in Justice League Batman: The Brave and the Bold, that I realized what a certifiable BMF Aquaman truly is. (The Injustice gameā€™s and the DCEU just cinched it.)

7 Likes

When I was 8 and picked up my first issue of DETECTIVE COMICS, I thought to myself: ā€œHey, this is a Batman comic! Where are the detectives?ā€

16 Likes

I used to think Darkseidā€™s skin was some kind of stone, but then I learned heā€™s made of old potato.

15 Likes

I naturally assumed that the DC stood for District of Columbia, and that they were probably based in Washington DC.

11 Likes

I thought that Dick Grayson was the only Robin and the others were fake

12 Likes

@Redhood I still think that

6 Likes

@biff_pow I did not know that about darksied until know. I always thought he was stone

7 Likes

When I was a kid and reading the Death and Return of Superman when it was coming out, I knew about Lex Luthor II really being Lexā€™s mind in a cloned body, but I thought the Supergirl he was with was Kara Zor-El, not realizing it was Matrix.

6 Likes

When I was a kid in the '60s I thought Superboy and Supergirl were Supermanā€™s kids. And I thought Lois and Lana were sisters.

6 Likes

When I was watching the original teen titans as a kid I thought that robins name was just robin no last name

6 Likes

That DC would make more money in their movies than Marvel xD

6 Likes

Always assumed as a kid robin robin was Batmanā€™s son. Thirty years laterā€¦

4 Likes

Due to my colorblindness, I thought Starfire was green until 2010.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t pay any attention
To writing credits

I could see that Superman was drawn differently by Wayne Boring rather than Curt Swan

But when
Denny Oā€™Neil
Replaced
Gardner Fox
I just.though
The same writer
Somehow became better
At writing.

When decades later
I took.a class with Denny
He said he hated writing
Those stories

Then even later on
I.found out Fox
Was no longer given assignments
By Julie Schwartz
Because
He
Bob Finger
John.Broome
Arnold Drake
And
Otto Binder
Had asked
Not demanded
Health Insurance benefits
And payment for reprints

How naive
I was
About how the
World worked
For Work For Hire creators

Denny didnā€™t know at the time
And had a wife and baby at the time.

And sales was bad relative
To Marvel
It was a bad time to ask

It didnā€™t improve
Until
Jennette Kahn
Gave
Some Creator Rights
And royalties based on sales year later.

3 Likes

I thought that the Teen Titans storyline from 1980 on was probably a boring and uneventful read so I never spent any time on it (outside of the two Titans issues in the ā€˜A Lonely Place Of Dyingā€™ storyline). YOWZA was I superwrong about that! (including the first team Silver Age version) :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :roll_eyes:

4 Likes