eclipso miniseries

I’m reading the legion 1989-1990 whatever it is present-day team and it was continued into Adventures of Superman annual then eclipso number two I can’t find eclipso is a lit in the comics list

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you mean, but I suspect you are talking about the Eclipso: The Darkness Within crossovers event for annuals that happened in 1992. It had a two issue miniseries. The first issue launched the story with Eclipso making trouble and then Eclipso showed up in all other titles to make trouble. The story wrapped with the second issue of the miniseries after he had been in all the annuals. It was an alright crossover. Some hits and some misses. Pretty forgettable.

Eclipso also got his own brief running ongoing series that lasted about a year and half.

Unfortunately, neither his ongoing or the miniseries are on DC Universe, but several of the annuals are.

1 Like

I think the mini-series and his actually series hasn’t been digitized yet. I don’t see them on Comixology so it’s a safe bet to say they haven’t been scanned and cleaned up yet. It is good to know some of the annuals of the crossover are on here, though. I thought that was a really fun story.

Sadly if it gets digitized, you won’t get to experience the wonder that is the first issue variant cover with an actual plastic Eclipso diamond in the front which makes it impossible to store the issue in a long box without putting an indent in the comic next to it.

Ah, 90s comic book gimmicks. They were…something.

2 Likes

@BatWatch
Oh my god I remember those. Try bagging and boarding THAT.

1 Like

It’s one of the reasons I haven’t sent that particular mini-series to be bound into hardcovers. I can only imagine what would happen if they tried to bind it. Either the inside of the front cover would have a permanent diamond shape or the diamond itself would be crushed or cracked.

1 Like

Can anyone give me a Reader’s Digest version explanation what happened in that issue it sucks it was the last part of the story with the legion

Eclipso is severely underrated and underappreicated

I haven’t read Eclipso Darkness within for the better part of a decade, but basically if you touch the Eclipso diamond, you either get superpowers and become possessed by Eclipso or you manifest an Eclipso rage monster that will destroy whatever frustrates you. Somehow, the Eclipso gets shattered into tons of pieces that get scattered across the globe. Eclipso takes up residence on the dark side of the moon and tries to consolidate power and DC had an excuse for crap to happen with the annuals since Eclipso diamonds just so happened to land in every hero’s back yard. There’s some scientist guy who is bound to Eclipso though forgotten means, and he tries to foil Eclipso’s plans. In the end, Eclipso is foiled. Don’t recall how. Think it had something to do with…something. I remember heroes getting possessed and…I don’t know. It wasn’t one of the best.

DC One Million is where it’s at if you want a quality crossover.

House of Secrets Eclipso is great

If anyone wants an Eclipso story that is available here in its entirety, one example would be The Rise of Eclipso, from Justice League of America (2006-2011) #'s 54, 56-60.

2 Likes

I seem to remember he had his own series at one point also.

1 Like

Look, Eclipso: Darkness Within is actually one of the best comic events out of the ‘90s, and is actually a pretty good, somewhat experimental way of reviving an obscure character.

1 Like

Disageee.

Underworld Unleashed, DC One Million, Zero Hour and Armageddon all rate over Darkness Within.

@BatWatch
I’m not saying it was THE best, I’m just saying that it was pretty good when most things were pretty bad. I agree with your assessment of all of those crossovers save for Armageddon 2001, which is fine if you ignore the ending. Eclipso is still better though, even if it ended up actually being Captain Atom, not Hawk.

1 Like

@Batwing

I found the, “I’m a rage monster or created a rage monster! Ah fear me! Death! Destru- Oh crap! A flashlight. Now, I’m good again,” nature of Evil Within a lot less compelling than seeing how heroes could be tempted to go dark in alternate futures shown in Armageddon. Granted, the fallout from the event with the switcheroo villain was all nonsense and left a disastrous aftermath , but the actual tie in issues were much more interesting.

@BatWatch
Oh well. The best ‘90s comic was Superman and Batman: World’s Funnest anyway. :grin:

World’s Finest. That would be the one that followed Superman and Batman from their first adventures to the distant future. Wait, I’m thinking generations. What comic do you mean?

Which crossover do you think is the worst. I vote Millennium followed by Bloodlines.

@BatWatch
I’m talking about the Elseworlds one-shot called Superman and Batman: World’s Funnest where Mr. Mxyzptlk (I hope I spelled that right) and Bat-Mite hop around ruining various dimensions with their shenanigans. It’s not on the app, unfortunately, but it’s a good find at a convention and you can buy it on comiXology. Also, Bloodlines can’t possibly be the worst event because it gave us Hitman. I’d say the worst ‘90s DC event was probably JLApes, AKA the one where they’re all gorillas.

1 Like

Actually, scratch that. JLApes is kind of awesome. Does Extreme Justice count as an event? If so, that’s the worst.