Earth 4321’s Alternative Tim Drake Name

Same. He’s supposed to be the detective of the family! Next to Bruce.

I find the look kind of boring, but I’d get over it… as for a name, I’ve already put in my opinion on using his last name (it’s a terrible, terrible security risk) and I don’t see why he has to even keep with a bird theme. Nightwing didn’t. Red Hood didn’t. Why should Tim? Savior is… a little full of himself sounding, but uh… with all that brown… Bloodhound? or just Hound if you don’t think it’ll cause too many GoT comparisons… Tracker? The Operative (though I’m pretty sure that’s in use) all give an investigation vibe…

You know, Redbird isn’t bad. I kinda like that.

I’d also been playing with the idea of Dragonfly; I know there have been other Dragonflies, but it’d go with the Drake thing as a concept.

Ultimately, my best personal canon ending for Tim is for him to take up the Oracle mantle. If Babs is going to run around as Batgirl instead, he can be Oracle, and Tim honestly shouldn’t be in the line of fire forever (he never wanted it that way, and we’ve seen what happens when he becomes Batman… twice) nor can he truly go back to being a civilian. Oracle is a happy medium where he can strategize, do detective work, and provide intel (maybe even provide recon?) while supporting a larger team, but still gets to semi-loosely-retire without cutting him off from the hero business and community entirely. I think Tim could be happy as Oracle.

…and please get him out of the yellow and brown suit, that’s just… I mean, what OTHER things can you think of that are yellow and brown? First thing that comes to mind. You know what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Oracle role is a bad fit for Tim, but that’s traditionally “the gal/guy in the chair”. One of Tim’s defining traits is that of a deductive prodigy. I can’t see him relying just on computer hacking to put clues together, and solve a case. He’d need to be in the field to some degree, get the real-world feel for a crime-scene that may not be capable from a computer monitor.

Redbird would be a phenomenal new name, especially with how it ties back into the early days of Tim’s time as Robin. I know it’s been said before, but I hate everything about this character change. The color scheme is dumb, and the name is worse. But the one thing that really gets me is that he’s lost the cape. Tim’s always had a cape (of some kind), and seeing him swinging around without one is extremely irritating. I mean, is this supposed to be some kind of tradition between the Robins, that after they change names they stop wearing capes?

2 Likes

How about this for an idea, how about we call Tim Drake Phoenix or flamebird since we have Nightwing and Nightwing is connected to the old Superman stories give him something with a flame Motif with his analytical mind I’m sure he probably pull it off and make it look cool

Well you would have to tie in a story about Superman or Jimmy O telling him about it in some weird way, plus we already have Superman influencing one former so why pull the same thing twice. I don’t think the flamebird is bad, just repetitive to those of us who know how night(nite)wing got his name, but it would be a double burn to Batman.

Red Robin.

What’s that? It sounds silly? Look in a mirror and say “I’m Superman!” and see if some part of your brain doesn’t find yourself slightly ridiculous.

Redbird would be good. Red Robin was also fine. Robin is okay. They could call him Harrier for all I care. Anything but Drake.

It’s a shame, but since DC decided to push Damian as the one and only Robin, Tim’s kind of been pushed aside. Since I don’t care for Damian, it’s even more unfortunate for me.

I didn’t care for Red Robin; aside from the fact that it’s the name of a restaurant, the original Red Robin was just an attempt in Kingdom Come to update the Earth-2 adult Robin. Why Dick couldn’t just stay Nightwing never made sense to me, except that it wasn’t what Alex Ross grew up with.

Babs is Oracle, to me. If I had to choose a new alter ego for Tim, I’d go with Redwing.

As far as “non-threatening bird,” read up about the behavior of male ducks. They’re terrifying.

A couple weeks ago, I was looking outside the window as I ate my breakfast, and I saw a male and female duck waddling around, probably looking for a good nesting spot. Then the male turned around and started walking faster. He was charging another pair of ducks that were in a neighboring yard, and chased them into the air, kind of going in circles.
The female duck left behind just started quacking. “Come on, Steve, we’re house hunting! Now’s not the time for this!”

Seen a few bird scuffles lately, including robins–no joke.

1 Like

I personally would like to see Tim Drake take up the costume and moniker of Red X. I think it would show Tim having grown beyond being Robin and since it hasn’t been used in the Comic DCU… I think it could fit his character. What do you think of this?

Almost anything is better than his current name. So lazy, uninspired, and dangerous to his identity. How about his new code name be “The Tim Drake”?