Dream Directors?

Inspired by Vroom’s post on Sam Raimi, I was wondering what everyone’s “dream directors” for a DC project were.

My three are Mr. Raimi for Shazam (followed by Joe Johnston as a close second), Edgar Wright for the Flash, and J. J. Abrams for Justice League (yes, I know he has his flaws, but Abrams is FANTASTIC at casting actors that all have great chemistry with each other, and he’s a pretty good effects guy too).

1 Like

Oh boy, a Joe Johnston DC joint with all of the whimsy and pinache of The Rocketeer would be great.

If Stanley Kubrick was still alive, he could do wonders with The Multiversity, Sandman and/or Transmetropolitan.

I’d like to see JJ Abrams on a DC movie. Green Lantern Corps seems like it could be his jam, even though he’s been in cinematic space for the last decade. If he wants to get biblical, there’s always Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday.

David Fincher needs to do something like…a Batman movie or maybe The Question. He’s a master at presenting a puzzle to his audience, and then making the path to the answer be continually interesting/fascinating/riveting than what came before.

Rachel “Tank Girl” Talalay could work for Lobo.

Michael Bay needs do something in the DC firmament with 'splosions (no blatantly obvious beer product placement though) and car chases that is FUN and edited well.

For chases, think of those from The Rock and The Island but obviously involving DC characters (actors from DC movies were in The Island’s chase sequence, however).

The Wachowskis could handle Ocean, Promethea or Planetary quite effectively. Planetary especially seems to be something they could sink an Arriflex into with great results.

If Christopher Nolan should return to the world of DC cinema, I’d love to see him get acquainted with The Authority.

3 Likes

@Vroom re: Joe Johnston, Right?? I would LOVE to see what he could do with the DCU!

1 Like

Also, Fincher would be perfect for the Question

1 Like

James Gunn for Adam Strange

1 Like

Maybe Joe Johnston and Adam Strange? Just a thought…

1 Like

Oh, and I forgot one: James Cameron for Green Lantern

1 Like

Oh, what about Guy Ritchie for Lobo?

1 Like

It’s already taken but I think Suicide Squad would be a perfect fit for Ritchie.

1 Like

Mel Brooks: Inferior 5
Hitchcock: The Question
Mike Sarne: Power Girl

1 Like

Guillermo Del toro for swamp thing, the Spectre, deadman or JLD

1 Like

James Cameron could very easily deliver a great DC flick, regardless of the property, and I’d love to see him and WB make a deal for something to happen.

However, the Alien series aside, he’s never been a franchise player in a franchise he didn’t create. Almost all of his movies feature his stories, with his characters and he gets final cut.

Even though Cameron was very interested in Spider-Man, his take would’ve been drastically different than the traditional version. He also had a very trying experience in making Aliens (to the point where once filming was completed, he told most of the stage crew in no uncertain terms to kiss his ass), so he probably won’t make a movie for any franchise he didn’t create.

Cameron’s welcome to prove us wrong though, and deliver a DC movie for the ages.

1 Like

James Cameron and Aquaman. I mean, it worked well on Entourage…

1 Like