Drawing characters

well i was drawing a gorilla, and of course i feel a very strong commitment to verisimilitude in my art, so

3 Likes

Ok…I guess thats a valid point

1 Like

i’m glad i could help so much!

1 Like

I think just starting small in general. Stick to the face. I never learned how to draw formally but I just paid close attention to the picture I was copying from. I used to draw like crazy when I was a kid. I stuck to cartoons because you don’t have to deal with very many crazy shapes. For example, I drew a lot of dragonball z when I was younger. That served as great practice and as lessons in proportion, how long should your pencil strokes be, etc etc. I would agree that it is a work in progress and that you just keep going at it. To start I’d just say draw simpler stuff. Like looney toons or something like that, things that don’t have a lot of detailing. Hope this helps. Good luck! :grin::grin:

1 Like

Thanks!! Maybe I will go back to basics for a little, to build a better backbone for my drawing abilities.

2 Likes

One thing that’s helped me be better at drawing faces than I am at most things is when I’m drawing a character, I pick an artist whose work on the character I like, and sort of imitate the general shape and features that artist gives the character. Older comics are actually better for this because the less complex colors make it easier to see which lines are important.

For example, the way I draw Batman is roughly based on how David Mazzuchelli drew him in Batman: Year One, just with a different costume and some exaggerated Dick Sprang cheekbones.

4 Likes

Probably the fastest thing to do is take some life drawing classes. When i first started, I thought it wouldn’t be necessary (I was mostly doing anime styled drawings) but I learned there’s only so much i can draw from imagination without proper training. Learn how to draw. period. Learn how to draw REAL things. it’ll translate to comic book drawings or whatever style of drawing you want to learn :slight_smile:

Fastest path is straight up taking classes. You can learn from books, but good instructors will fix your mistakes a lot quicker than you will. A lot of people see things in 2d even in drawings, but remember you are trying to draw 3D objects that follows the rule of physics. Remember things aren’t really flat, you are trying to portray something 3D in a 2D plane. That’s the best thing i was taught - learn how to DRAW around the object, not the outline. That’s really important for drawing musculature. Hope this helped!

2 Likes

Nope, I learned a long time ago that it’s just not a strength of mine lol. Much prefer writing!

1 Like

@JeepersItsTheJamags I completely agree! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol…well writing is an amazing art form

1 Like