Doomsday Was Not the Real Villain of The Death of Superman

:laughing: Yeah, still one of my favorites regardless of its lack of depth.

3 Likes

HA! :joy:

But also seriously: It’s been 30 years now. Fans have been born, grown up, and had kids of their own in that time. How long can Doomsday ride the villain cred granted by killing Superman when he’s done almost nothing noteworthy since?

5 Likes

:thinking: not right as the rise of antiheroes was the 80’s. the real villain of this book was DC staff. especially since Superman was selling 4 books at the time
however, calling Doomsday a random monster diminished the work done to create him, and the character himself, given the new earth version, is actually still around and likely the most powerful being in the multiverse at this point, along with what they did for the actual death of superman, reducing the panels each book, to the final epic in showdown in superman vol 2 75 being literally one panel per page.

check out Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey compilation if you can find it

3 Likes

Thanks! I definitely want to read more stories with him in it.

3 Likes

Wait. You’re saying that there were no anti-heroes in the 90’s??? I’m sorry, but do you even read comics??? That’s a ridiculous statement.

2 Likes

As it happened in 1992, and yes there are some “Mitchs” in the story

3 Likes

I said they started to rise in the 80’s. Punisher first appeared in 73, Wolverine started appearing in comics in 74, Lobo in 83, and Venom as venom in 88. however, image comics got its start in 1992 the same year as the death of superman with spawn number one being started in April 1992.

a quick search on Marvel Database | Fandom and DC Database | Fandom would have allowed you to fined these dates in seconds. a bing search for spawn would have given you his first publish date.

3 Likes

I feel like no matter which version of Luthor it is, in the end, he’s just some petty villain. And when Doomsday kills Superman, what does Luthor do? He takes out his pettiness on his judo instructor just because he can. He whines at Superman’s grave about how he should have been the one to do him in. Just like every billionaire out there, he has the power to change the world, but he won’t, unless it’s in his image. He may be the main nemesis, but he’ll never be more than a thorn in your side.

4 Likes

True, but Bruce Wayne is an exception to that billionaire rule.

2 Likes

Went by?

My friendly moth, we’re currently in the anniversary. :wink:

SN: Superman #75 came out in November of 1992, so we still have quite a way to go through said anniversary as well. :slight_smile:

Agree to disagree.

I think having Luthor do the deed would have been a huge cliche.

Sure, its what most people expect, because Lex is to Superman what Joker is to Batman: Their mortal enemy, and if anyone is to kill their hero, most people would say its those villains.

However…I’m one for tossing a wrench in the gears and surprising the reader, so I highly, highly appreciate that a new character could come from nowhere and do what Lex couldn’t in the span of many decades (or years, in Post-Crisis continuity).

One of the absolute best DC-related documentaries produced for home video release (and given Warner Home Video, as they were known when that documentary was released in 2006, and their excellent track record with their DC releases across multiple home video formats, that truly is saying something), and certainly an all-time great Superman documentary as well.

Spot-on in most respects. The Death and Return of Superman is my absolute, all-time favorite story to star my favorite DC character, my favorite comic book character, my favorite fictional character and my favorite superhero, so know that I see those titanic tales with rose-tinted glasses.

Death and Return certainly have their flaws, but for me, they’re very minute. The two communicate why Superman is, has been and always will be DC’s #1 (sales schmales, popularity, schmopularity, there are more important things in life than money and popularity). They celebrate why Superman matters, is always relevant and why he always will be relevant and matter.

Heroes…work. Heroes…are good, and they don’t come any better than the one that started everything for DC, and whose three-decade young death and return stories are still the absolute most impactful, influential and historically important stories DC Comics has published since 1992.

4 Likes

Death of Superman was a moving story at the time and highlighted what was best about Superman, as well as some of his flaws in the story. I think to convey those things having a new villain was the best approach, as too many clashes between Superman and Lex previously would’ve clouded the interpretation of the event. Enjoyable analysis to read, however.

4 Likes

That’s a good point! I also feel like it would be tricky using an established villain to kill Superman in any future stories. Like if a year after killing Superman Lex tries to rob STAR Labs or something it would seem like not nearly as big a deal by comparison.

4 Likes

Okay, okay. The villain can’t be too new, but can’t be too prominent, either.

Titano should’ve killed Superman.

(Imagine how many MORE copies Superman #75 would’ve sold if it had an ape on the cover!)

7 Likes

There’s also the issue that if an existing villain had killed him, it could’ve been one of the more minor ones who was getting more focus at the time, like Blaze or someone from Cerberus. What I do think could’ve been interesting is if Cyborg Superman was responsible for sending Doomsday to Earth originally.

4 Likes

The spirit of Julius Schwartz is alive and well, I see.

4 Likes

And…if there was a bagged Platinum Edition that smelled like fresh nanners when you opened it up.

Just think of how many fans would have bought multiple copies so as to continually experience the high of getting a fresh blast of nanner in the face as they opened the bag.

2 Likes

NO! The real villain was editorial at DC to get Superman comic sales up. Or…maybe the real villain was the consumer for not buying enough Superman comics prior. Hence, they would not had resorted to this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like Hank Hill here LOL

3 Likes

NGL, I’ve huffed my share of freshly-cut lawns, as a fresh-cut lawn is one of my favorite smells.

2 Likes

LOL, you junkie

3 Likes