Doomsday Clock: Watchmen x DC Superhero Crossover series

I absolutely love it so far, I am on the last issue! I own the book with issues 1-6 or whatever it is & am finally finishing it here on DC Universe.

I seriously feel like EVERY Watchmen fan NEEDS to read this!

2 Likes

The last issue won’t be available until
December 2020

There was a lot of delays with this series

Right now only 10.of 12 issues in library

3 Likes

I loved it. Did you read The Button which was based before this this?

3 Likes

I loved both the button and this series… bought this as it came out… one of my favorite modern reads…

1 Like

No, I hadnt heard of it but I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I see it was released in the edition that collected #7-#12 though, according to Comixology

2 Likes

Just read all of the ‘Button’ series so now I cant wait to read 11 & 12 of Doomsday Clock so I’ll have to buy it maybe even on digital asap

1 Like

The purpose of Doomsday Clock is to justify a tie between the DC Universe and the Watchmen universe, which primarily serves the ongoing DC Universe. While there are other sub-themes that are well done, they ultimately serve the main goal - making the Watchmen universe accessible for DC Universe storylines.

Not every Watchmen fan needs that. One could be a Watchmen fan and not care at all about the DC Universe. It is not even very hard for me to imagine the Watchmen fan that would be put off by even the idea of doing this.

Personally, I am a fan of both the DC Universe and Watchmen. Personally, I thought Doomsday Clock had a lot of nice elements to it and I am pleased I bought and read it. Johns and Frank worked hard on this and it shows. I think I like Doomsday Clock more because I am a fan of the DC Universe and got a kick out of this well-crafted merging of the universes. That is who this is primarily for, though, is the fans of DC.

I can’t pretend that this did anything particularly good or special for fans of Watchmen. That story doesn’t get anything out of this.

2 Likes

Except maybe more Dr. Manhattan content

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you mean when you talk about a Watchmen fan.

If you are a fan of the characters, then you might be thrilled to see more opportunity to see them used. Doomsday Clock is probably right up your alley.

If you are a fan of the story, then Doomsday Clock doesn’t change the original story, so it might be of nothing more than a slight curiosity to you. Fans of this type could probably take it or leave it as far as Doomsday Clock is concerned.

I think most people who think of themselves as Watchmen fans are a little bit of both, but I can easily imagine people who are only fans of the story, people that really have no need for more Watchmen content, whether it be Dr. Manhattan, Rorschach, or Dollar Bill.

Again, all of that is in theory, and me playing devil’s advocate more about how praise for this series should be given rather than if it should be given.

I liked the series. I thought the attention to detail and tone and pacing was such a wonderful tribute to the original, that I will always be happy I read it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I could see this same thing applying to Watchmen fans on whether or not they’re going to be reading the Rorshach comics.

1 Like

do not read if you have not finished the entire book.

Summary

I wish we could have seen a batman vs Ozymandias match as it would have been one heck of a fight

1 Like