Doomsday Clock 10 & Heroes in Crisis 9 (spoilers)

Doomsday Clock 10 is THE love letter to Superman, showing hope all around. (amazing issue!!!). This issue being released on the same day as HiC 9 is basically showing the middle finger to Geoff Johns. HiC 9 was the best of the bunch, but the core of the mini series is still awful, and Wally West (MY Flash) deserved MUCH better.

5 Likes

In Doomsday Clock 10 I feel Geoff Johns has put most of his cards on the table especially the movie actor the JSA and especially Superman.

We now know what Doctor Manhattan did and it is mind boggling.

This is an issue to read over and over again.

3 Likes

Heroes in Crisis Spoiler

A combination of

It happened

And

Never Mind

Hope all of this goes away when Doomsday Clock finishes though the losses are not as great as feared.

I hope Roy Harper returns someday as competent as he was in Young Justice TV show and in Brad Meltzer Justice League.

Please no Suicide Squad for Wally West.

1 Like

It seems like some people at DC really hate Wally West. I don’t understand the point of this story and I wish it was not in continuity. Also, Wally West gets put in jail because of an accident, while Harley and Poison Ivy just walk away. They have knowingly killed people, but for some reason their murders don’t matter. Wally gets put in jail and these heroes let all these bad people out of jail all the time. Joker breaks out of Arkham like once a month and nobody does anything about it. Why is it that people suddenly consider Harley a hero? I don’t care what the Joker did to her, she is still a murderer. If you’re going to blame all of Harley’s problem on Joker, then why don’t we blame Wally’s problems on the person who is really responsible. Who is responsible for this new universe and getting rid of Wally’s family? Barry Allen is responsible for all of this yet he’s just out there running having a good time. If anybody should be locked up, then it should be Barry. I just don’t think that this story makes any sense. The whole explanation for the murder and the time travel thing just don’t make sense. Wally also accidentally killed some people, but there are other people wondering around free who have done a lot worse. In Secret Origins they have the origin of Harley Quinn, and it opens with her killing a theater full of people. Red Hood has killed a lot more people than Wally has, and he has done it on purpose. I just don’t understand why they had to go and ruin Wally like this. I just don’t understand why the heroes are letting some people get away with murder, but they care that Wally did something accidentally, so he goes to jail. How is going to jail supposed to help somebody get their life straightened out? Sanctuary is just a dumb idea that helps nobody.

6 Likes

Tom King had a small good idea that DC Management messed with to create a sensational comic and i mean that in a bad way.

2 Likes

I haven’t read it, because it reeked of Identity Crisis all over again…

But as I understand it, time travel was used twice.
And not once did they think to go back and prevent the accident or save the people?

4 Likes

@LeonardoMyst In-story, Wally ruled that out because Barry caused Flashpoint (which wiped out Wally’s family) by trying to fix the past, so he shouldn’t risk a similar mistake. On that topic, it’s never made any sense to me that Barry’s mother’s death is this inviolable linchpin of the timeline when it was itself an incident caused by time travel to change the past. If Thawne could retcon the past by killing Barry’s mother, it makes zero sense that no one can ever try to undo his retcon.

And Wally’s big gesture of atonement was to release all of the heroes’ personal secrets to the world. I get the idea that it was supposed to be good to reveal that they were seeking treatment for trauma (even if trauma is close to the last thing I want to see in superhero comics), but didn’t that expose pretty much everyone’s secret identities in the process? I mean, during their confession-booth bits, Batman has his cowl off and Superman is dressed as Clark Kent and talking about being Clark Kent. Having a very hard time seeing that as any kind of redemption.

Also, having Hal Jordan say he has no idea what will is is just further fuel for the notion that much of this series has been a middle finger to Johns.

4 Likes

The Question showed up for one panel of HiC #9, so by my metric, that’s a 10/10 issue.

2 Likes

I have no idea what happened in HiC. It would’ve helped if one Wally was unmasked to make out who was saying what more clearly. Wally’s actions make no sense and being locked away in a cell like that doesn’t seem like he is being cared for or given help. Where’s Iris? If I were still reading Flash, I’d be very curious to her reaction.

2 Likes

Although Kara did show up for one panel I am not as generous as The Question
(does that make me a bad fan? :slight_smile: ).

The time plot was terrible, at this point I feel the best way to salvage this story would have been to continue on the path it had committed to. I don’t even know what this ending was.

3/10 This issue only gets points because good art (and Kara-panel :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

HiC was terrible. No amount of Lampshading will fix it.

I’m curious though as to why would King want to give the middle finger to Johns? Do they not like each other?

3 Likes

I don’t think it was really King that was specifically doing it. This seems more like DiDio was using King’s work to middle finger all of the DC pre-New52 readers. the ones who constantly badgered him about where’s Wally and some-such. the fact that Geoff Johns had basically pushed for the re-integration of a lot of the Pre-Flashpoint universe with Rebirth probably made him seem more of a target than he actually was. (And when you consider Johns was largely responsible for bringing back two of the Silver age’s linchpin characters in rapid succession, It really seems strange that he would be targeted at all.)

5 Likes

Why is Didio still at DC???

1 Like

@ KentAllard

Cthulhu

2 Likes

@LeonardoMyst Clearly that is the only explanation for this madness

1 Like

@ FlashLegacy ,

I don’t think King has it out for Johns.
King has been riding high with his artsy-indie style books (Omega Men, Vision and Mister Miracle). He proposed an idea to Didio. Didio accepted it but wanted to cash in on King’s current popularity and make it an ‘event’ title. Then Didio told King who to use as his ‘villain’. Hence Wally goes boom.

There’s been something of a tug of war at DC between Didio and Johns from before New52.
Didio seems to want the DCU to be dark, gritty and nihilistic. Johns seems to want the DCU to be grand, majestic and hopeful.

Brightest Day and Rebirth were both heading towards similar destinations.
Brightest Day was cut off to do New52, and many of the titles that were planned to launch out of Brightest Day (JLI, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Hawkman) were instead reconfigured to come out of New52.

4 Likes

@dogwelder9 That story was dark, but it wasn’t trying to be super edgy and it wasn’t trying to crush the legacy of fan favorite characters like what Dan DiDio does

1 Like

Dogwelder9, I read a review of this earlier today online can’t remember which site flagged me. According to the article if I remember right 1954 was the “official” debut of the Silver Age version of Superman. I suspect that may be what the date signifies.

2 Likes

@dogwelder, that’s a fair point, and I’d tend to agree; Johns has never been a favorite of mine for that reason (doesn’t help that I was a Kyle/Wally fan or that I fell for the Infinite Crisis bait and switch about the return of brightness only for him to use Superboy Prime to give the finger to fans who wanted that…I could go on, but you get the point). It’s a tug of war between dark and super-dark.

That Johns still manages to look like the anti-grimdark one next to Didio says a lot about Didio.

1 Like

But Johns does try to balance it.

Hence… Blackest Night, Brightest Day…
Rebirth…

And Doomsday Clock is still going, but it looks to be more of a juxtaposition of the Watchmen universe (which has influenced comics since 1986) and the DC Universe and why a Watchmen approach doesn’t work in the DCU.

1 Like