Doom Patrol show v comics

I never much cared for the Doom Patrol until the show came out. Now I can’t get enough and want to start reading the comics, especially the Grant Morrison run. However I don’t want to expect anything that may happen in the series. I want to be completely surprised as the story unfolds on screen. With that in mind, how similar is the show compared to the Morrison run?

2 Likes

I haven’t read all of the run yet, but it varies. For example, the episode where Cliff visits the Underground has a pretty similar issue in the comic, on the other hand, Beard Hunter in the comics was basically just a Punisher parody with no super-powers who chased the Chief around at a grocery store so he could steal Niles’ beard.

2 Likes

I read the comics first and I don’t regret it; the show still holds surprises and suspense for me. It’s a very loose adaptation. More “inspired by” than directly adapted, I think.

1 Like

The show’s quite a bit better than the comics. I haven’t read many recent Morrison comics, but this was one of his firsts. His lack of experience shows. The stories are wildly imaginative, but not overly engaging.

1 Like

The comic is just as weird as the show but with less solid story telling, I think. There are points where it’s like Morrison just wanted an excuse to be weird and sound smart. It’s still good, just not as good as the show. And as a side note, Morrison’s Animal Man is way better than his Doom Patrol. If you want to read something truly wacky and yet amazingly written, then I’d suggest that (as long as you can finish by the end of the month, I’m afraid.)

1 Like