Doom Patrol Season 4 Discussion (Warning: Here There Be Spoilers)

I keep thinking they’re setting up Vic and Jane as a ship because of promos, like specifically next week’s, but then I remember Jane seems to be gay.

3 Likes

Well, it didn’t have to be that way. From the beginning of the show I’d hope we get to see the Brotherhood of Evil and I’d hoped they would be like they were in the comics. They could have easily written them as the group’s archenemies if they wanted.

2 Likes

Eh, I don’t know, it would’ve gotten repetitive if they came back over and over again. I’ve seen some people compare this to Legends, the way more grown up version and I can agree, especially because they don’t repeat villains. Look at other DC shows and even the movies, they can’t help but repeat themselves. But with Doom Patrol, we have a different villain every season, just like Legends of Tomorrow did.

3 Likes

That’s true. Doom Patrol is a lot like Legends… in that you don’t have the same villains constantly popping up. I grew tired of the Reverse Flash on The Flash long ago!

2 Likes

Also, Rita doesn’t get any good stories compared to the rest of the characters. Larry, Cliff and Vic have reconnected with family members and friends. Why hasn’t Rita? Is it because they’re men? And why doesn’t she use her powers more extensively? Is it because the writers don’t like showing powerful women?

3 Likes

Well, I really have to disagree about Rita not getting any good stories compared to the rest of the characters. They have explored her past as an actress a good deal. In fact, I think we may have seen more about Rita’s career as an actress than Larry’s career as an astronaut or Cliff’s career as a race car driver. I do agree she hasn’t reconnected with family or friends the way the others have. Okay, she may not have any close relatives still living, but surely she has friends who are still alive! As to her powers, given both Jane and Rouge are on the show, I don’t think they have a problem with powerful women. Maybe Rita’s powers are harder to pull off with regards to FX than others? That could be it. I can see how it would be easy enough to portray the negative spirit or Keeg, and of course Cliff’s superstrength is easily enough done, but stretching and so on may be more difficult. I don’t know, but I do wish we’d get to see her use her powers more!

3 Likes

How about a story where it’s revealed that Rita had had a baby years before that she gave up for adoption and in the present day would encounter her own grandchild, who would of course look similar in age to Rita? This could also lead to some nice scenes with granddads Cliff and Larry.

3 Likes

That would be a cool storyline!

3 Likes

Exactly!!! That show has zero originality, I cannot believe that’s the last OG Arrowverse show standing, it should’ve been Legends for many more seasons.

3 Likes

Episode 5 trailer:

#PifflePaffle
:doom_patrol_club: :dp_butterfly:

3 Likes

I can dig it. :+1:

4 Likes

I barely made it through the first episode.

For me, the show has been in a constant decline. It started off with an interesting mix of humor and oddities, but now has veered way far off into things like zombie butts and crotch weapons, that I find it distasteful without being funny.

2 Likes

You mean everything that’s comic accurate? LOL.

4 Likes

Perhaps. I never read the comics, truth be told. I just know that the show was more enjoyable in the beginning than it is now. Maybe it’s just not for me.

3 Likes

The show’s never changed, it’s been as wacky as it has always been, the Butts aren’t new after all, they’ve been here since Season 1.

3 Likes

Larry is Rita’s best friend, not Rouge!!! That really made me angry. I’m so angry at Kipling too, I thought he was more than just some company man. Larry and Rama, Mr. 104 are a ship and I hope they get together, he just better stop being one of Immortus’ lackey!

3 Likes

Ooo- def jump in when you get a chance @moro, especially on the Morrison and Pollack runs. Sooo good! :+1: :dp_butterfly:

4 Likes

The original Arnold Drake run and the Morrison run are my favorite runs on the comic book.

3 Likes

Wow. That was some episode

Jane all embarrassed about, well, you know. In an effort to regain her youth Rita unleashes a hex that de-ages everyone. Jane and Rouge bear their souls. Larry and Mr. 104 bond. Immortus needs the Doom Patrol’s pieces of immortality. And it looks like we will finally get to see the Scissormen on the show!

2 Likes

Scissormen?

Jane’s worry about how she can live is very powerful, like she said, she hadn’t even had a childhood until now.

3 Likes