Doom Patrol Season 4 Discussion (Warning: Here There Be Spoilers)

I’d just like to open with two of the funniest words that have ever been paired and then I can proceeed forward:

Dogsh*t McGivens
:laughing: :rofl:

Now, let me start by saying how delighted I am that season 4 is up and running. I love this series so much as it’s a special island of magicalness and amazement within the DCU experience for me that I am still beginning to discover and chart, as is the entire DP experience. Also- huge shoutout to Excellent @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx Mr @biff_pow @ProActress and @RexRebel for being some of the most wonderful WAL buddies and for being super wonderful fellow :doom_patrol_club: peeps! :purple_heart:ing you all, as always (#PifflePaffle).

Eps 1 & 2 takeaways:

• Vic is really having difficulty with the day to day experience without his tech. And seeing the homemade stuff his other self is sporting in Eps 2 just confirms it. He needs to come clean with himself and get back to the Cy that we all know and love. Booyah.

• Rita needs to learn that failing at something is many times only the beginning of the journey when you take on an aspiration or a new responsibility and that the journey can’t progress forward until this part is realized and things are learned from it.

• I’ve got my eye on you Laura McGivens. Mm hmm.

Alrighty y’all- I’ll check back in after the Eps 3 WAL.
:smiley: :dp_butterfly:

6 Likes

:hugs:
:doom_patrol_club::dp_butterfly:

:laughing: :joy:
The poetry of a poet’s poet! :feather::scroll:

6 Likes

Rita has rocketed so much further up from her already high point on the amazingness scale she occupies based on this single name change alone that she has so brilliantly handcrafted for Laura De Mille.

:laughing: :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Rita never was one to mince words!

5 Likes

:smile: :+1:

5 Likes

Finally caught up on season 4, can’t say much about the episodes themselves that hasn’t already been said. But one thing that I have noticed about not just this season but last season as well…

Am I the only one that feels like we see a lot less of Jane’s alternate personalities “up top”. I mean we do from time to time and obviously episode 1 this season Jane spent almost the entire episode as a different personality. But as a whole we don’t seem to get her going back and forth between personalities as much as we used to. Maybe that is intentional given her character delopments but aside from how impressice Diane was in he role in season 1 and 2 (always duly impressed by her performance considering Jane’s personalities are all from the comics, they didn’t just write ones taylored specifically to her acting strengths yet she still nails it out of the park every time) but it was a lot of fun.

I mean when’s the last time Hammerhead has come out to play with the rest of the Doom Patrol? She used to be Hammerhead in almost every episode.

Just something I notice and have been missing in the recent season. Wondered if I was imagining it.

6 Likes

I think you’re right. We have been seeing a lot less of Jane’s alternates. I really would like to see more of them, like we used to. It would especially make sense since the Doom Patrol is now officially a superhero team. I mean, Hammerhead, Flit, and several of the others would be useful in a fight!

6 Likes

Once the show was lifted from DCU and moved to that streaming service, the art direction and production design definitely looked like they were scaled back. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Oh, yeah! I hadn’t noticed that, I love Jane so I don’t really care but I would love to see more of the other personalities.

4 Likes

Well, tonight’s episode was interesting.

It was great seeing Danny and Dorothy again. And I think they handled the introduction of Space Case quite well. It will be interesting to see when Dorothy and Space Case connect with the Doom Patrol.

2 Likes

E4

Great episode

Another adventure in DannLand.

The crew at Danny seem to be living well but in hiding.

Dorothy is struggling with Niles’ death. Sad that she couldn’t see them. Nice that the DBD was mentioned.

Cassie was cool. A different take on her but still great. Enjoyed the cheesy comicness of her at first. The issues with her dad. Don’t think Dorothy brought them to existence. :thinking: Now off to meet the DP.

The end with the comic artist. Curious who that is with Imortus. Wonder if the got a comic artist to play them :thinking::sweat_smile:.

Also fun fact The dad was played by the same person who was Sabertooth in the first X Man movie. Thought that was pretty cool.

Will the Danizins be able to live out in the world? Will Dorothy get back to the Doom Patrol? Is Rita okay? All this and more Same Doomed Time Same Doomed Channel

2 Likes

I really, really, really liked Casey!!! I can’t wait to see her interact with the Doom Patrol! I loved seeing the Dannyzens back as well.

3 Likes

The promo for next week, Larry and Mr. 104 are definitely a ship, aren’t they?

3 Likes

In the comics I think it was Danny who brought Casey into existence.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t think that’s the case here unless Danny did it unintentionally :thinking:

2 Likes

Once again, everytime Rita has the beginnings of a cool story, the writers veer off into another direction without resolving her story. I am about ready to give up on the show.

3 Likes

Well, keep in mind that none of the regulars appeared in this episode. I am sure next week will see more Rita. I am just hoping we get to see more of Jane’s alters as this season progresses/

3 Likes

It’s not just that, but the show’s writing has been wildly uneven these past couple of seasons. There are also some plot holes that you could drive a truck through. Cases in point:

1. I was really looking forward to the Brotherhood of Evil in season three, but I was hoping they’d be like Mr. Nobody in season one, a constant threat to the Doom Patrol. Instead, the Brain and Mallah had little more than extended cameos. It would have been fun to see such a deadly organization fighting our ragtag bunch of misfits.

2. At the end of last season, Cliff’s brain was inside the giant robot and the team was about to head to Panama to fight a menace there. But when the show returned, Cliff had his old body back and the team had already had several successful missions. I think the writers need to understand this is a television show, not a radio program. You can SHOW STUFF! Do a montage or whatever. Instead they took the lazy way out.

3. In the first few episodes, it was said that Silas Stone had helped Cliff with his old body and even gave him a new hand. But didn’t he refuse to help Cliff in an earlier episode because he didn’t feel right by aiding the work of Niles Caulder?

2 Likes

I’ll admit that I was a bit disappointed that the Brotherhood of Evil wasn’t more of a threat. I mean, come on, in the comics they were the group’s original archenemies!

2 Likes

The Brotherhood weren’t a threat because they were from the old days, they weren’t our team’s arch-enemy.

3 Likes