Doom Patrol... Lack of Aging

Ok it seems that our heroes are all at least 50yrs old and don’t age. Cliff and Rita are obvious, but what about the rest? Larry’s still in his 80s-90s underneath those bandages. Sure I guess the negative spirit could be the reason, but I don’t think thats one of its powers. I guess one of Jane’s 64 keep the body young, but they haven’t explained it, unless I missed it.

Can someone please explain whats going on with the lack of aging here

3 Likes

Without diving too deeply into spoilery waters, it looks like the next episode may touch on this topic.

3 Likes

Awesome thanks!

I asked the same thing after we found out Niles was in Paraguay during Mr Nobody’s transformation. That was in the 30’s, Niles is at least a century old, barring any time travel shenanigans that I can definitely see him getting in.

2 Likes

Ok why doesn’t anyone in the doom patrol ever age as far as I new no one is ageless or immortal so how does it make sense .

2 Likes

It’s a really good question. Lots of people here have been asking and theorizing about it. I’m looking forward to the shows explanation. Seems too deliberate not to answer it at some point.

2 Likes

It’s very meta. It’s on purpose but they shouldn’t give some magical supernatural explanation. It let’s the story blend the great 50’s and 60’s imagery timelessly through out the 50+ years to present day. It doesn’t need to be addressed.

I’m thinking it’s got something to do with General Immortus.

2 Likes

I’m letting it play out. Just keep watching and maybe it’ll be revealed

2 Likes

Well this is just my theory but I was chalking it up to their individual powers effecting their rate of aging or lack there of. The cosmic energy that inhabits Negative man, the mystical force that in infected Rita, Cliff being a brain in a can. Jane is the only one I cant come up with logical answer for off the top of my head.

1 Like

I think it could be possible that Mr. Nobody’s keeping them young just so he has an enemy to fight. Or maybe he at least keeps Jane young because he needed her to start the cult of the recreator? It all seems like something he might do, especially since he’s such a meta character and it could be explained that he’s doing it for the convenience of the writers.

2 Likes

I’m thinking Jane’s age is as a result of her being used as a guinea pig. Something they did to her slowed her aging.

2 Likes

new show new ideas plus there not the old doom patrol there depicting the new one

Maybe Jane’s situation is based around her multiple personalities. Maybe each one has it’s own lifespan, and since she never stays in for very long, her aging has slowed.

1 Like

I too asked this question a few weeks back. I’m betting they shed some light on this before S1 wraps up. They’d better anyway!

One theory I have is that it has something to do with the Doom Patrol mansion. It contains a temporal anomaly that halts the aging process of anyone inside it and on the property. It’s a kind of suspended animation but they’re awake.

For example, Rita has lived close to 60 years in the house. Let’s say she spent on average 7 days combined time per year away from the house for various reasons - a few hours here, a day there. Over those 6 decades she physically aged a little over one year.

It could be their powers, but it would explain how the Chief has aged.

3 Likes

I love the show but this is something I think about everytime I watch the show. I hope it’s explained.

Glad to see I wasn’t alone in wondering this. @matthewzd, I like the Mansion theory.
If they explain it cool if not, really I’m ok with it. its such a good show I’ll let them have that one.

I think in a lot of cases it can be explained by their powers.

I mean Rita is a giant blob basically, so when she pulls herself into human form its as she remembers herself.
Larry has an energy being inside him which probably keeps him alive, and any signs of aging would probably not show through…
In jane’s case, as mentioned upthread her aging is probably split between her different personas,
Cliff, well, that ones obvious.
The only one where it doesn’t add up is the Chief. But maybe they will eventually introduce general Immortus and that will explain that one.

8 Likes

Chief made a chemical that can prolong life for General Immortus without knowing it was him. So maybe that has something do with it.

I found that info on the wiki page.

1 Like