Doom Patrol Impressions (Season 1 Spoilers)

Even worse, it’s not convincing troll bait. For the amount of work the poster did, we all saw through it like freshly washed glass.

Guess it shows the level of “creativity” the OP had.

3 Likes

Me thinks there be some post-SDCC trolling in the forums future.

1 Like

I doubt we’ll see the OP again. They like to come in, stir the pot and leave. It’s their bread and butter.

If they are reading this, though…you know we’re laughing AT you, right?

3 Likes

Guys, Don’t be mean.

Look @markscd.7707 I get the desire for more Kid Friendly shows. Unfortunately, the only kid friendly original is Young Justice. When you read Doom Patrol as a kid, it probably was weird but in your mind wasn’t all that inappropriate. Of course, turning that art into a comic that captures the art in a realistic way can be grotesque and the desire to add cursing is partly designed to make fun of the weirdness. It’s Deadpool humor in a sense. If you like Deadpool, you would like this.

The other aspect of Doom Patrol is its psychological analysis and horror. These elements are mature. Can you tell the story of someone who has been tortured to the point of having servere personality disorder in a kid friendly way? I don’t think you can.

Fortunately, Krypton is kid friendly and I’ve heard that Stargirl is Kid Friendly. Stargirl and Young Justice are TV-YA and Swamp Thing, Titans, and Doom Patrol and TV-MA. If you do not like TV-MA, that’s okay. However there is a large audience for whom that is exciting. (Look at the critics opinions of the show). There’s also 23 thousand comics which you can read.

I hope you find stuff you like because even if you DON’T like the Original Shows. There is still a lot to love.

2 Likes

I dunno, Hub.

The two Captain America made-for TV movies starring Reb Brown made in the late 70’s are pretty awful.

As is the Peter Hooten Doctor Strange made-for-TV flick.

… sorry, what was the topic of this thread again?

1 Like

…this might be the dumbest thing I’ve read all day.

6 Likes

“Anti-family, anti-normal freakfest…”

I feel like this person ISN’T as big a fan of the Doom Patrol as they claim…

6 Likes

I’ll never understand this obsession with seemingly trying to have everything be kid friendly. Are people that interested in a second Silver Age?

2 Likes

And we didn’t see this attitude as much until Disney aimed most of their hero stuff at families. I do admittedly blame them.

2 Likes

Has the person who wrote this read any Doom Patrol comics that weren’t made in the ‘60s?

2 Likes

PDA???

1 Like

Ya I think this dude only read the original doom patrol run maybe he should have done some more research before watching

1 Like

You know what’s even better? The clues left here; there’s a pattern to troll posting that’s evident here:

“Alas, all I can do is cancel my subscription when my year expires” Notice how, when you see these posts they never mention the monthly subscription. It’s always the yearly, which leads me to believe they’re not aware of the monthly subscription option, which is evident when you sign up for the service. This tells me someone has vaguely heard of the service and might have been told about only the yearly. Also, notice how they say they’re gonna cancel their subscription. This is a common empty threat by someone who more than likely doesn’t have a subscription to begin with.

"So, DC, if your network flops, " This one I love. If this had been posted in the infancy of this service, I might’ve given this poster the benefit of the doubt, but come on, we’re almost at the year anniversary. This line loses credibility with each passing day.

“You’ve got some heavy competition coming your way – by a company (no names) that will be pursuing the exact opposite theme of your anti-family, anti-normal freakfest. That work has evidently led to several $1B movies, and some very popular TV shows” Ah! Invoking the other company! There’s your biggest hint. Notice how the OP takes the time to sing the praises of the other company. Here is where they give themselves away…not because they sing their praises, but because you know THIS is what they really want to say–this is what the post really is about.

There’s too many instances in other posts that follow this pattern. There’s too many people who are resentful of this service, so they’ll come here and do their best to belittle and discredit, all while disappearing after the initial post as they high-five their buddies or pat themselves on the back for a “sick burn” And maybe I’m wrong. Maybe this person has a legitimate gripe. But too many times we’ve seen this pattern on these boards and too many times we’ve caught people in the act. They’ve lost the benefit of the doubt. We don’t take you seriously and as much as you despise it, the service is still here and kicking. And as we approach the one year anniversary of the service, every day we enjoy it is another day they have to live with it.

7 Likes

And is it a coincidence that a post like this comes right on the heels of SDCC?

I think not.

Has the mouse house committed to more than two Marvel Originals just for their service?

2 Likes

@ DeSade-acolyte yea, it’s kind of funny how a lot of trolls came here this past weekend. I think they were genuinely hoping there would be an announcement this service was going to shut down or be absorbed by HBO Max. When the renewals came in, I can see a few people getting mad and thinking of ways to come here and “vent”

2 Likes

Doom Patrol is outstanding IMO. The writers/creators did a really nice job with the Morrison material, and the whole Larry/family/John back story was a completely new and yet incredibly deft addition to the DP mythos. I might have had a few quibbles here and there - I’d like to see the men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E to up the Normalcy threat - but that was a heck of a first season, honestly maybe the best superhero show season ever.

3 Likes

I have been a fan of Stan Lee the creator of DC comics work . When I saw that a new TV series called Doom Patrol I was on it.Watched the whole season and was so ready for the 2nd season of my girl Jane and her 64 personality for every situation…

#DoomPatrolAddict#

3 Likes

While Stan Lee did some work for DC the majority of his time was spent at Marvel. I don’t believe he did anything with the Doom Patrol except possibly help rip them off
and transform them into the X-Men. Glad you’re enjoying the show.

6 Likes

Hey he took credit for everything Kirby created. So why not DC as well.

5 Likes

I’m with you, @anndreaketterer!