:dc_pride_club: :doom_patrol_club: Doom Patrol Club: Pride Month (Doom Patrol 1987: Issues #75-77) (June 1st-18th) :dc_pride_club:

Welcome to the Month of June, Doomsters! and to Doom Patrol Club! we’re doing something different this month in celebrating all Characters and Creators, Doom Patrol! So we’re kicking it off by celebrating the very, very awesome Rachel Pollack! and the character she created Coagula! join us in celebrating Pride Month and Doom Patrol! Hope to see the awesome feedback down below :dp_robotman: ! And Let’s Discuss! :dp_robotman:

Link to start the awesome reads–>Doom Patrol Comics 1987: Issues #75-77

5 Likes

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Danny the Street. Introduced, once again by Grant Morrison, in Doom Patrol #35 Danny the Street was originally described by the now outdated term as being a transvestite. But, with his brilliant inclusion into the Doom Patrol television series Danny was depicted as genderqueer. We would tell you all about Danny, but we there’s no way we can do better than Rosie Knight in her DC article ‘5 Reasons We Love DOOM PATROL’s Danny the Street.’ Spoilers, it’s because Danny is kind, genderqueer, a former Teen Titan, unfathomably powerful, and totally unique. And, we couldn’t agree more as Danny proved that a sentient, transporting, genderqueer street makes for compelling storytelling and a great loyal friend to have.

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/news/5-reasons-we-love-doom-patrols-danny-street/

danny tv

Doom Patrol: Down Paradise Way, Danny’s Introduction

4 Likes

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Rebis. When Grant Morrison writes a title, you never quite know what you’re going to get. In his first issue of Doom Patrol with #19, Morrison created what may have been the first gender non-binary character in comics. Separated from one another, Patrol member Larry Trainor and the Negative force reunited in a flash of energy that also pulled in Doctor Eleanor Poole creating a new, unique person that was simultaneously male and female. Referring to themselves using plural pronouns, Rebis confused their fellow Patrol members, particularly Cliff, but was ultimately accepted. Rebis also helped create another history breaking hero when they had sex with prostitute Kate Godwin, passing power to her and creating transgender Patrol member Cougula.

Doom Patrol

4 Likes

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Coagula. Created by transgender writer Rachel Pollack and given the name Kate Godwin after two of Pollacks transgender friends, Coagula is arguably the first true transgender superhero published by DC Comics. Coagula gained her ability to turn solids into liquids, and the reverse, after sleeping with Doom Patrol member Rebis (who you could argue is non-binary). She eventually joins the Patrol and adds a relationship with Robotman to her previous interest in women. The series also depicts Robotman dealing with the idea that his girlfriend is transgender. Although she was fridged by Doom Patrol’s next writer, Coagula deserves recognition as a truly ground breaking character.

Doom Patrol #70

4 Likes

7378a6e43e6ac8c813b215.png

:00_dc_pride: Pride Profile, Rachel Pollack. Rachel Pollack had the unenviable task of following Grant Morrison on Doom Patrol #64. But, the transgender writer rose to the occasion with her own contributions to the team and DC history. Perhaps most memorably, she created the short-lived character of Kate Godwin, aka Coagula, one of comics first transgender characters. Pollack is now best known for authoring books on Tarot Cards.

Doom Patrol #64

4 Likes

I’m going to struggle even more than usual to say anything interesting or insightful about these because I have no idea what’s going on most of the time :laughing: I had forgotten how weird Pollack’s run is. Definitely of a piece with Morrison 's!

3 Likes

Kate’s sure patient with Cliff over his fit after finding out she’s transgender. Kinda wish (TV) Jane was there so she’d yell at him. THAT’S his learning style!

3 Likes

Yes ! :dp_robotman:

3 Likes

Yea, but love that kind of weird :relaxed: :dp_robotman:

3 Likes

She did get him good here, though

Cliff’s like

1b343a959dd9004

3 Likes

yea, cliff had no words :dp_robotman:

2 Likes

Who’s to say that pictures aren’t the best way to learn. For example, us. lol. I’ve noticed that a person gets more thumbs up if they add a picture to their post.

2 Likes

True :dp_robotman:

2 Likes

Finished! Rachel Pollack really handled Kate’s plot elegantly, and despite her being a new character, she doesn’t feel shoehorned-in or like she’s getting in the way of the other characters. (If Gerard Way reads this and thinks I’m making a dig at him, well, good.) I’m not surprised that Rachel Pollack handled it so well, but I think DC deserves some credit for giving her a platform to tell this story in that era.

I didn’t follow much of the sci-fi plot, but Kate and Cliff’s subplot is great!

2 Likes

Nice! I definitely agree with you there on that, Biff! (Gonna cover another Doom Patrol favorite really soon :wink: ) feel like stories like this and characters do shine and love that kind of story too :relaxed: :dp_robotman:

2 Likes

i’ll be looking forward to it!

2 Likes