[Doom Patrol Club] Doom Patrol Comics (1987-): Issues #45-50 (January 1st- 31st)

Ernest Franklin is consumed by a hatred of facial hair—and is hired by the equally strange group ‘The Bearded Gentlemen’s Club of Metropolis’ to kill Niles Caulder.

Doom! Welcome Doomsters to January 2021 and happy new year to all! hope you had a great christmas and great new year! We starting off right with more grant morrison goodness! and our group of misfits get into more weird adventures here with confronting beard hunter and more! As always would love your thoughts and more on these and also will post an announcement soon so be on the lookout! :wink:

Here’s the link to start reading here—>Doom Patrol Comics (1987-): Issues #45-50

If this is your first read, welcome! a few questions to get the mind going…

1. What was your favorite moment from Issues #45-50?

2. Which character stood out the most to you and resonate with?

And…Let’s Discuss! :robotman_dp:

3 Likes

hooray! I finally get enough time to Book Club, and it’s for Beard Hunter!

3 Likes

:raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

Issue #45: I definitely like the TV Beard Hunter more. This one’s just a one-note joke more than a character. And I get that Morrison was trying to puncture the insecurity at the heart of toxic masculine posturing, but it uses homophobia to do it.

It’s a fun issue, though, and I love that it turned into Die Hard with the Chief at the end.

3 Likes

Real beard hunter aint no joke. I’m behind on my DP. Gomen Nasai

3 Likes

i guess we can let you off THIS time, but if you ever sleep through a watchalong, your name is MUD

2 Likes

2 Likes

True

1 Like

:astonished:

1 Like

my name’s Mud, it’s not so bad!

2 Likes

I’ve always appreciated your sense of style and dance Mudd

2 Likes

Okay, read the bear hunter issue. This is so dark (funny in its way) but very dark. It kinda reminds of the whole violent misogynistic mindset. He’s really a loser on the inside, doesn’t match up on the outside with what he sees as the ideal male. Then when he does reach that ideal, he’s still an empty angry loser. Plus, it feels like he’s repressing his own identity to boot. Lots going on, and yet it’s oddly funner. Mom, of course, doesn’t help much with her attitude.

1 Like

Yea, in a way with him he was put in a different way and also yes Mom doesn’t help either

1 Like